Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Creating authentic joining lines

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Creating authentic joining lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 12:36 PM
English Electric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating authentic joining lines

May I ask if it is possible to create authentic joining lines on a model aircraft surface? To explain to a further degree, I am referring to the vivid lines seen on prototype aircraft, where (for instance) two panels of metal have been joined together and a line groove is most evident.

I am using car paste over fibreglass (the former which will be sanded to provide a smooth surface), hence my predicament.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Mel Francis

Default RE: Creating authentic joining lines

Since you're working with a surface that's filler over fiberglass, you should be able to.

Work with a flexible metal ruler, taped in position and scribe the lines with an Exacto blade tip of your choice.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:52 PM
English Electric

Ah, many thanks. The scribing idea had crossed my mind, but I was a little unsure.

Your advice is most appreciated.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Mike James

An old technique used by many scale modelers to create "panel lines" is to simply use some narrow (1/16" or 1/32" ) masking tape, sometimes called "chart tape" to map out the panel lines on your plug. (or model) 3M makes some good tape.

Then spray a coat or two of primer over the tape. When you pull the tape, you'll be left with recessed panel lines. The effect, on an actual flying model, can be enhanced by spraying a dark-colored primer first, (or a metal-colored paint) underneath, then applying the tape and primer. Then, when the tape is removed, there will be more contrast. There's a lot of discussion on these techniques in the scale-related forums.