Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber mold and molding

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Carbon fiber mold and molding

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:57 PM
pyropunk77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber mold and molding

I have a metal centerboard on my real sailboat which is a piece or metal which swings up and down on a pin with a wire attached to it. It is essentially a wing with 2 ailerons on each side. Since it is in salt water it corroded/rusted away and fell off one day while sailing. We could purchase a new one for 1,200 U.S. dollars but it will eventually rust or corrode again and fall off. So my question is...

Without an original part to mold from, how would you suggest to make a mold? We know the dimensions and the angles and I believe we can get a tracing from someone else online. Could I get some suggested websites or some instructions for how to make a mold and how to make the centerboard out of carbon fiber? We decided on using carbon fiber because it is very strong and we wont need as sturdy of a core as with fiberglass. Thank you for your help.

-Spencer
Old 01-25-2004, 08:25 PM
pyropunk77

Default RE: Carbon fiber mold and molding

when I said ailerons before, I meant airfoils. Sorry about that.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Ohlsson

Default RE: Carbon fiber mold and molding

Hi,
I would make some kind of a core first (foam, balsa or something else depending on the finished weight) and then cover it with carbon cloth. If the leading edge is somewhat straight you can just wrap the cloth around it after curing the first side. Even spars from carbon tow can be attached if you mill (or sand) a slot in the core before covering with cloth. This method will be easier as you don't require a mold.

/Daniel