Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Laying up fiberglass for a cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Laying up fiberglass for a cowl

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 02:43 AM
ScaleME
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laying up fiberglass for a cowl

I have a mold for a cowl in two parts (top and bottom). The top and bottom will not be joined, rather this is how the cowl will be separated on the model (for engine access). The molds are foam and covered with Ultracoat. I want to lay fiberglass over the Ultracoat to form the cowl pieces.

Question: There are some compound curves on the bottom piece around the air intake so I was planning on using .75 cloth and then heavier cloth with a finish layer of .75 cloth. Not sure if this is the right way to go, so - How much of what thickness of cloth should I use. The plugs are roughly 16 inches long by 6 inches tall.

Thanks

ScaleMe
Old 02-06-2004, 06:04 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Laying up fiberglass for a cowl

I have done a little of that, but not a ton. What I did on my last one is I did the compound curves first with layers of light cloth like you are talking, then the reast of the cowel. It works, but I don't know if it is the best way. If you can do the layup in pieces that will allow you to make the compound curves, you will be fine.

I am assuming the mold is a male mold and the part you put on it will pull off and the outside will be the outside of the piece, not the reverse where the outside of the piece is against the mold. If it is a female mold, use cabosil in the epoxy to thicken it and fill the compound curves so the glass doesn't have to bend so much.