Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Remove a bulkhead from a glass fuse?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Remove a bulkhead from a glass fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove a bulkhead from a glass fuse?

I have a plane I bought (saved from an inept builder) and it only had one bulkhead installed. This one bulkhead is heavy, unsymetrical and a general piece-o- . So I want to pull it out. Problem is, the wonder builder heavily glassed it in (helps fill the gaps) from one side. I need to get this thing out without destroying the fuselage.

There's a big hole in the middle of the fuse, so I figure I'll make radial cuts from the center to the fuselage skin with a cut-off wheel. Then I'll work at getting each piece out of there.

Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 02-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Kenny R

Default RE: Remove a bulkhead from a glass fuse?

I have watched a Guy do what your talking about with a heat gun. He managed to do it successfully. Actully he seperated a two piece fiberglass fuse removed one bulkhead(the one in the slipjoint)and put the entire tail section onto a new front section.

Maybe this is of some help.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Johng

Thanks, I was thinking about heat, but scared I would soften the fuse and make it ripple. I still am. My heat gun is pretty smokin hot. Maybe if I find a way to keep a wet towel against the outside of the fuse only the bulkhead & epoxy would heat up.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Mike James

Hi John,

I've had to do this a few times. What worked for me was a Dremel tool and a sanding drum.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Ed Smith

I have used a 1/8 diameter carbide burr in a Dremel tool. Cut through the bulkhead as close to the glass fuselage as possible without hitting it, gouge it out all the way round. Then as Mike says use the sanding drum to remove what is left over. Believe me this is a tedious and messy process.

Ed S
Old 02-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Johng

OK, thanks. My Dad gave me a tool set for Xmas with 4 sizes of drill-mountable sanding drums. I guess that'll be how I make it pretty in there again. Still not looking forward to removing the bulkhead initially. It's made of 2 - 1/4" pieces doubled up in the center where it's really glued in well. So that's a 1/2" of material to get thru. Arrg.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Ed Smith

An afterthought, if the initial installation was a mess there is just a chance that the bulkhead is not bonded to the fuselage very well. So get a piece of say 1" dowel, hold it against the ply and give it a sharp crack with a hammer. It might break loose quite cleanly. It is worth a try.

Ed S