Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

How to build an accurate model of small part without using formers

Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

How to build an accurate model of small part without using formers

Old 02-26-2004, 09:33 PM
newbiepilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to build an accurate model of small part without using formers

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys know how to make an accurate model part from a paper plan, without using formers. I am thinking of using pink foam, and I don't want to use formers because the part is too small and isn't really in a straight line. How would you guys get all of the arc and things correct to the plans? I have tried to cut and sand the pink foam, but it starts to warp and bend, I need a very straight part.
Thank you so much for your help.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Ed Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How to build an accurate model of small part without using formers

What is it you are building?

Can it be carved from solid Balsa?

Ed S
Old 02-27-2004, 07:28 PM
newbiepilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't really want to tell you, no offense. But, yes it can be probably carved out of balsa. Why is that?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sanghera,

I recommend you forget composites, and go build some models.

A few months ago, you emailed me with a long series of composite-related questions, which made no sense. So, I directed you to all the sources where you could read free composite information, buy some materials to do some tests with, etc.. When it became obvious that you hadn't done that, I asked you to stop writing me.

Then you began posting the same kind of questions here, asking about "the strength of seams on joined parts", "how to build something circular without seams", "Won't there be a "bump" on the surface of a part with seams?", and now, "how to build something small without formers". You're seeking advice on things that are obviously way over your head as a modeler, because you haven't learned the fundamentals. You tried the same appproach on the forum at fibreglast.com, but got almost no response. You must build something to learn, and you must also read to learn.

Many of us have directed you to sources where you could at least read something about how these things work. You obviously have either not read them, or, as I said above, the whole concept is way over your head. Now you're asking questions which cannot be answered, because you won't give sufficient information.

Most of us here enjoy helping others, especially when we eventually get to see something they built, and it comes out well. That's gratifying for everyone. What you are doing is wasting your time, or you are simply "trolling", to waste our time.

I can tell you what won't work though, for sure..

You can't come here with virtually no modeling experience, ask questions about advanced composite building, but read none of the information we direct you to, and then expect to build something successful. (without at least telling us what the shape is)

You will learn much faster by doing it yourself, as most of us have done. You could answer all of your questions by buying a quart of inexpensive "Bondo" polyester resin and doing a few tests on scrap. (as I suggested to you in the beginning.)
Old 02-27-2004, 10:50 PM
newbiepilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, you do have some points. But, yes I do have some fiberglass expierience. I have experimented with it a little. The reason I don't really want to tell you my idea is because I don't want the idea taken away. Anyway. I have tried to cut the foam and it just keeps on warping, and I need a straight part, so I asked for help. What was wrong with that? Yes some of the things are probably way over my head, but that is why I ask. I will try to get more expierience with composites and learn more about it.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:37 AM
MikeSoh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mr Sanghera if you such a good idea and you would like to make an acurate model mould your only other choice is to get a CNC mill hook up to PC with the software of your own preference.There is a lot of work in composite carving and sanding and lots elbow grease.A while back you were inquiring about making something.If you have not made any progress since then you are not serious.All you have to do is take the advice from the pro instead of asking stupid question.Why even ask in the first place? You said that you have fiberglass experience you figure it out.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:12 PM
newbiepilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a good idea, but I don't have the money for a CNC mill. I could get it made from someone that has one though. Also, I don't want to make enemies here. What was that something that I was making a while back? And, yes I probably do need to just work with the stuff a little bit more.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:34 PM
TGoodwin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked! Well not really but it sounds good.

Sanghera-you have not provided enough information so we can not provide an answer.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:27 AM
cheetak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE:need help on buying

hi, iam from india and like to ask your help on buying a good and cheap radio,
i need help to buy the cheapest of all ,radio that comes with atleast 2 servos and including reciever having atleast 3 channels
Old 03-24-2004, 01:11 PM
parabellum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RE:need help on buying

cheap radios? I'm not sure why you post that in this thread, but I would suggest ebay. I'm sure India has something similar to ebay? no?
Old 04-10-2004, 04:44 PM
newbiepilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI, I'm back again. Ok, here's the deal, I'll give you guys an example of something that would need the same technique for what I might build. Ok, so I was looking on the internet and found a web site of a guy making a bike from a foam model that he made, then covering it in composites. Fiberglass and Carbon Fiber. So there was no mold involved. I was thinking, I wouldn't want formers inside of a bike after it is made, especially when it is made to be as light as possible, so how would I go about and do this and still have accuracy and a nice straight foam "plug". In other words, how would I make the foam model from my drawings, make it accurate to the drawings, and nice and straight, without using formers. Any tips?
Thank you very much.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Mel Francis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about using your drawings to cut external formers, or templates, that can be used to gage or check the exterior shaping of the foam.

You can even sand the foam so the templates fit a bit loose, allowing you to laminate a skin in place, before your final surface filling.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:29 PM
newbiepilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for the idea. Although it does make it difficult to shape without formers. That does make sense. Thank you. Also, any ideas on how to keep the foam straight and in line.
Thank you very much.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Mel Francis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whether you realize it or not, I gave you the answer to your question, in my previous post.

I've guided you about as far as I can, down the dimly-lit corridors of your own imagination.

Most inventors restrict their inventions to the materials and processes that they have intimate knowledge of, and when they need more information, they get it through careful expansion of their own abilities. (trial and error)

If you cannot divulge even the basic shape of your 'invention', since you think someone on this forum would take it from you, why do you think that any of us should part with our information, that was gained at an even higher price, than an afternoon of daydreaming, as must be in your case?

I'll have to go with Mike James on this one, Sanghera. Stop pondering and start some practical building. Who cares if you build more than one prototype? All you have is time, anyway!
Old 04-11-2004, 11:02 AM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My hats off to Mike James, Mel Francis & some others for their patients with these types
of post. I know when you give good advice and they don't try what you say even tho they know
that you have good experience (remember they asked you) you guys are a lot more patient
then I am.[:@]

Like most of you my experience came over time (I repeat TIME!) and plenty of money. The
info some of you guys get here for free is amazing as when I learned all I got was a few do's
and don'ts and figure it out yourself type help.

Again my hats off to you guys for what use to be called secrets!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:49 PM
rcairplanenut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A series of hot-wired foam blocks might work.

Good luck
Old 06-22-2004, 10:52 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is interesting, a small part rendition and a bike for an example, no formers and strength??? the sad thing is that there has been some very good advice given aswell as a great deal of patients on those who took time to respond, and it seems to be ignored.

First I would question the foam warping, why? bad plug work or un-supported while laying glass/material onto it? How small? .060" or 12 feet? Are you actually making a mold? or building a buck and covering it? Then do you plan to melt the foam out or leaving it internal? Do you see the point here??? there is not enoigh info given to get the response you are looking for"

I've done glass and polyester molds and built a few plugs, and I'm no expert or even call myself experienced but I can build small parts in the inches from foam and turn them out in FG as a Straight part.

Carve it from balsa as suggested, takes a bit more work than foam to shape and sand though. It will be more rigid and will support the application of materials better, then once cured just pick it out if possible. Or you can use very small stiff wire to support the foam off of a board, and stick the wire thru the cloth as you do the lay-up, then you will have only tiny holes to fill once cured.