Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 01:21 AM
Selcuk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel tank

how can I make a custom-made fuel tank for my scratch-built ducted fan airplane? I do not have fuel pump and pressure is important. Do you know a simple method?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:53 AM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fuel tank

We've had some discussions on this in the "Jets" forum, since many modelers are making Kevlar tanks for their jets. Just go to "Jets" and do a search for "fuel tank" or "kevlar".
Old 03-03-2004, 10:06 PM
aparchment

One problem that you will face is that nitromethane fuel will attack the epoxy in the tank and destroy the tank. I have not seen anyone to date recommend a nitromethane proof epoxy or a solution to protect the epoxy from damage. Perhaps we might find a solution from the world of composite kit planes.

Of course you could put a turbine in your plane instead :-)

Antony
Old 03-05-2004, 03:03 AM
sayno2glo
My Feedback: (2)

In aircraft industry they use somekind of rubber which is poured it to tank and then the tank is rolled so it gets to every corner. Then exess rubber is poured out and the rubber sets hard. It can take normal gasoline but don't know about nitromethane. I'm working on bike tank made of carbon and could ask what stuff is it.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:44 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello Guys

The rubber your talking about is actually called slushing sealer. Fuller Paint at one time manufactured the stuff and they may still. Aircraft Spruce & Specialty ( 877) 477- 7823 also carries this sealer. The material I used used in the tank of my r/c Staudacher and several home builts was from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. It is very good material.

Bob Sawyer
Old 03-05-2004, 08:56 AM
e=mc2

If making a composite fuel tank, nothing beats vinyl ester resin. It is very resistant to all types of chemicals.

Take look at the this [link=http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/1071/tank.htm]link[/link]

It details contrustion of a full scale fuel tank, but I am sure you can learn from the process and the materials used.

best,
e=mc2
Old 03-05-2004, 11:42 AM
aparchment

Hey Bob:

I noticed from your edits that it doesn't appear that slushing sealer was supposed to be used with alcohol based fuels. Is that true? Also I have read that often that product breaks down over time and turns into a sticky mess. One of our local flying clubs had their 182 go out of service for quite a while due to problems with the fuel tank liner disintegrating. I don't know if it was a sealed tank or a rubber bladder though.

I noticed that the fuel tanks on Lancairs or other modern kit aircraft seem to just be painted glass. Perhaps there is a paint that would stand up to continuous exposure to nitromethane and this could be used inside the tanks on a glow powered ducted fan.

Antony
Old 03-05-2004, 01:41 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello Antony

This morning I took a look in my new Aircraft Spruce & Specialty catalog and they have a new sealer Specifically designed for for alcohol based fuels. Also I do not know what could have been in the tank of the aircraft you spoke of, but I have used this materials in fuel tanks fifteen years ago that are still in use

Bob
Old 03-05-2004, 08:07 PM
aparchment

Thanks Bob:

I just received my new Aircraft Spruce catalog, flipped to page 163 and there it was. Thanks for yet another good tip. It's worth the $20 to use this product on a test set of tanks to see if it holds up. I have another order to make with them, so I will add the sealant to that order.

Antony
Old 05-09-2005, 03:49 PM
rolln_thndr
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone found something that will stand up to GLOW fuel yet?