Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Carbon Fiber Booms

Old 03-09-2004, 01:10 AM
bojangle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Carbon Fiber Booms

After some 50 years of balsa crunching, I find myself in strange waters. For some strange reason, I am fascinated by the pod and boom thingies, like T-Hawk, Wingo, Wing Dragon, etc.

My nephew gave me a bunch of damaged carbon fiber arrows, from which I salvaged several 24" pieces. They have a "wood grained" finish. Sanding produced a white powder, so I assume they have a fiberglass/gelcoat over the carbon. I want to make a flat surface to bolt on the tail. I cut a shallow rabbet on one end, hoping to inlay a popsicle stick for the flat, but none of my adhesives will adhere to the shaft. I'm thinking the only way to do this is to tack the stick with ca, then fiberglass around it....am I on the right track?. Or are there any hi-tech adhesives that will bond to carbon/fiberglass?

I'm considering ordering the plans for the "Streaker". ( Flying-Models plan CD179, October 2002). The plans call for a fiberglass boom, the carbon arrows should work as well. But if I can't figure out how to work with this stuff, I may just forget the project and go back to my wet planes. (I'd rather be out flying)

BO (B alsa O nly, so far)
Old 03-16-2004, 02:15 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Booms

What adhesive are you using? I use medium CA with kicker. I works really well, and if the plane you are talking about is a glider, it should be sufficient.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:48 PM
davidfee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Booms

CA usually works very well. Fast epoxies (5-min, etc) usually just peel off. The 30-minute might be ok. I use regular laminating epoxy resin. Whatever you use, make sure you scuff the surfaces with sandpaper and clean away any residues with acetone.

-David