Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 09:06 PM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I start?

I had an encounter with a buzzard with my Ultra Stick and the Buzzard hung on and took it down. I'm getting either a new Ultr-Stick or other replacement plane but i wopuld like to try to repair this plane to practice repairing and covering and ofr a
backup/ Floatplane. Where do I start the firewal pulled out and the fuselage in front og the wing saddle with have to be redone and the fuselage is cracked right infront the tail and the elevator is smashed on the LE on the left side. what do you think?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26330.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	229519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67384.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	229520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29567.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	229521  
Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 PM
fasterthanlife

Default RE: Where do I start?

a few more
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99296.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	229528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27338.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	229529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95258.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	229530  
Old 02-14-2005, 11:23 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

I'd start from the firewall and work my way back. You're going to have to recreate the fuselage side profile as best you can. Then where you decide to join the new with the old you need to joining them with a zig zag cut and then laminate the joint with say some 1/8 aircraft grade ply. Make sure your lamination piece extends a good amount on either side of the joint. Then I would cut the bottom piece and glue that down to the sides. Use some 1/4" or 1/2" triangle stock between any formers you need to also re-make. And remember one thing --- You Can Always Add Wood.

Perhaps an easier route would be to call up Hangar 9 and purchase a fuselage from them. It all depends on how much time and money you have to determine what route to take. Good luck and post some pictures of your progress.

I've been know to pull some models out of the trash can and get them flying again. The last one I did was in 1998 and it was a Great Plane AT-6 that a guy brought out to our club field. He ground looped it on take off. I noticed he was going to trash the plane so I offered him $50 on the spot for the retract servo and retracts. He took my offer. Two weeks later I was flying it at the field and having a ball. A few months later he returned to the field and was surprised I had completely restored it. I had to rebuild everything from the front canopy forward. Part of the fire wall was damaged and I repaired that too. The wings suffered little damage and were easy to repair. I only had to order a new cowl from Great Planes to complete the model.

JR Gautreaux
Old 02-15-2005, 04:33 PM
fasterthanlife

I'm most likely ordering a whole new pane from them. I just thought this would be a fun project. Thanks for taking your time to post suck a long post really helped.

Thanks again

-CajunPilot-
Old 02-15-2005, 05:55 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should still fix it if you have the time. Buy a new plane and go fly it so you can take your time and do it right. My last one this bad took 6 months because I kept putting it off or thinking about how I wanted to attack a given problem. It looked almost exactly like yours and I have been flying it again since Christmas. It even had MAJOR wing damage. Broken spars, shattered sheeting and ribs, the whole deal. VERY satisfying to see it in the air again. YOUR choice, learn the skill.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:25 PM
jetflyer

Bruce has a point. Spend some time after you get your other in the air trying to repair your damaged one. The skill and experience you'll gain will help you in the future. When I start out training a new pilot I alway tell them that buying an ARF to get start is fine, but make your 2nd or 3rd plane a kit. I explain that building a plane from a kit will allow you to gain the skill required to make repairs if your need to or realize what needs some beefing up in and ARF. Not all ARF's are what I call air worthy out of the box.

JR Gautreaux
Old 02-16-2005, 08:10 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi jetflyer,
I lived in League City in 1976 and in the area until 1986. Used to skydive and fly full scale at Houston Gulf Airport. What field do you fly RC at now? I get to Galveston several times every year. I worked for Metro Airlines in Clear Lake with the Twin Otters. Flew them too- great plane. Taught myself to fly RC on the Clear Lake runway until city got too crowded.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:18 AM
jetflyer

I'm originally from the "Valley" or South Texas. Was born and grew up in Weslaco a town between McAllen and Harlingen. Moved to Houston in 1990 and settled in League City in 1993 when I got married. I use to go out to Houston Gulf to watch the skydivers when the company was still operating there. From my house I could see them too. But about 1 year ago they decided to tear down the airport and make room for another section of South Shore Harbor.

Currently I fly down at Texas City at Holland Park as a member of the Texas City RC Club. But I also have a membership at the Nasa club too. I started into jet back in 1998 and after a few failed attempts with my Byron F-16 at the grass field at Texas City I went looking for pavement and joined Nasa. I fly my turbine Super Reaper now mostly at Texas City but I've gotten a couple of flights in at Nasa.

Give me a ring next time your in town. (I'll PM you my cell phone)

JR Gautreaux