Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Tank leaked oil soaked wood

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Tank leaked oil soaked wood

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Futurase
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank leaked oil soaked wood

Guys I have my tank leak on my UCANDO3D and a small amount of fuel soaked intot he wood. I noticed as it was wet under the cowl and I pulled the tank at home and the foam I have around it soaked up almost all of it, but some soaked into the side of the fuse as I can see it through the monokote.

Does anyone have an techniques to removing oil. I have used KLR Spot remover before. It is desigend for clothes like ties, drecc clothes and any clothes I guess. It dries as a white powder and pulls the oil out. I will use it as it removes some from wood, but wanted to know if anyone has a better way. Ideas??? This is what having a YS 110 and not sealing tha tank with silicon does to you. The tank won't leak for a while but this was the first flight with this plane this year.

Thanks,

Scooter Ross
Robbe-Schluter Field Rep.
Minicopter Factory Field Rep.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:06 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Tank leaked oil soaked wood

you have the same mess that i had here is what some members told me remove tank of course let dry a while and use baking soda vaccum out and reglue just to be safe results ok but i wonted a new plane import tanks[] are fair to poor
Old 03-19-2004, 04:57 PM
davidfee

Wood? What's that?

-David
Old 03-19-2004, 06:51 PM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Futurase

Guys I have my tank leak on my UCANDO3D and a small amount of fuel soaked intot he wood. I noticed as it was wet under the cowl and I pulled the tank at home and the foam I have around it soaked up almost all of it, but some soaked into the side of the fuse as I can see it through the monokote.

Does anyone have an techniques to removing oil. I have used KLR Spot remover before. It is desigend for clothes like ties, drecc clothes and any clothes I guess. It dries as a white powder and pulls the oil out. I will use it as it removes some from wood, but wanted to know if anyone has a better way. Ideas??? This is what having a YS 110 and not sealing tha tank with silicon does to you. The tank won't leak for a while but this was the first flight with this plane this year.
Although I haven't used it myself, I've heard that cornstarch is good for pulling the fuel & oil out of wood.

Dan
Old 03-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Futurase
My Feedback: (10)

I'll let you know how it comes. The nitro and methanol evaporate of course and leave the oil behind. I use 30% Cool Power Heli so of course when I have a tank leak it would be when I run fuel with 24% oil[:'(]

Scooter Ross
Robbe-Schluter Field Rep.
Minicopter Factory Field Rep.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:22 PM
boater
My Feedback: (2)

I've used a paste made from talc and methanol. Brush it on, let dry overnight, brush off and blow out with compressed air, repeat 3-6 times as needed. Take two aspirins and call me in the morning. Heheh. Rudy