Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

repairing molded fusealage

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

repairing molded fusealage

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:06 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairing molded fusealage

spun my glider on a mandatory down wind landing. Results were a busted elevator ( no problem) and a crack in the molded fuse 1 1/2" behind the trailing edge. The glass is not broken but the resin is cracked. I am not familiar with fixing glassed planes. The repair does not have to be pretty just functional. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22586.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	116595  
Old 03-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: repairing molded fusealage

From the picture I see the crack, but when you apply force does it "open up"? If it does, I would make up a mixture of epoxy/microballoons, open it up, spread some into the crack and then close it back up as best you can. Since this is in a high stress area, as soon as you get the microballoons mixture in the crack and close it up, take a piece of 6 oz glass sized to cover about 1/2 inch either side of the crack and place it on a piece of glass/wax paper. Mix up a small amount of epoxy and use an acid brush to completely saturate the small repair piece w/resin. Then carefully place if over the crack. When it sets up, it will be as good/better than new. After all is dry, you can then carefully sand and repaint the outside of the fuse. Good luck....

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft....

aka Deadstik......[8D]
Old 03-29-2004, 03:03 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: repairing molded fusealage

The crack does not open up. I think I'm going to wrap the fuse with glass tape and epoxy and call it good.