Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Can carbon rods be threaded?

Old 04-04-2004, 02:43 PM
czechyour6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can carbon rods be threaded?

Can you thread the end of a 1.8mm rod and will it hold a clevis without breaking, Just for a tail brace on a Sig SE? thanks
Old 04-04-2004, 03:52 PM
davidfee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Can carbon rods be threaded?

Yes, but cutting the threads is not super easy. Use a sharp die to cut the threads. You may want to epoxy the clevise on as insurance.

-David
Old 04-04-2004, 10:34 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to amplify on what Davidfee said. Since the fibers run axially (lengthwise) in CF rods, cutting threads would weaken CF more than it would steel wire. I would epoxy the clevis to the CF rod, and use a clevis on steel wire at the other end for adjustment.

The rod/clevis sets you buy from Du-Bro et al at your local hobby shop, have rolled threads. If you measure the unthreaded and the threaded portions, you will see that the threaded portion is slightly larger in diameter. These threads are not cut. The wire is fed into a machine that has three hardened steel thread dies that rotate and draw the wire in. As they draw the wire in, the dies apply pressure, and the thread is formed without cutting.

Since the material displaced when the dies form the thread has to go some where, it is squeezed up to form the crest of the thread.

Not only is this method more economical for mass production, it produces threads that are considerably stronger than cut threads. Almost all commercially available nuts and bolts are rolled.

Finally. . . I do not think that I would use a threaded CF rod in a high stress application, but it might work OK on a park flyer.[8D]
Old 04-05-2004, 11:15 AM
SeditiousCanary

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: davidfee
may want to epoxy the clevise on as insurance.
If you do that, you may as well just expoy the clevis on to begin with. No reason to thread it at all if you're only going to epoxy the thing on.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:29 PM
davidfee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

True, unless the rod won't fit in the clevise without threading (or sanding down). I'd just fit it and glue it, if it were me.

-David