Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Flying Wing-Glass ship

Old 04-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Jeep-mini-t-man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Wing-Glass ship

i am working on the plug for a flying wing that i am making. i am going to use .5 oz glass and some kevlar/carbon fiber cloth. i am going to make it a 48 inch wing span. what airfoil and stuff do you think i should make it? what is the weight range i should try to keep it in? and last of all has anyone ever done it.

i will be using my multiplex royal evo 9 channel and some hs-81 servoes. any recomendations for anything? please post some of you thoughts on this project!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Mike James

Default RE: Flying Wing-Glass ship

I don't know how you could be working on the plug, when you're asking these questions, but...

Since this is a small model, I would square away all the design issues first, before considering plugs and molds. Do a search here on RCU or on Google for "flying wing", and you'll find a wealth of information that will get you started. Then, my advice is to make a simple balsa model or two, to prove the flying qualities. Once you know how it will fly, then make plugs and molds.

Using this kind of approach will save you a lot of headaches, and a LOT of sanding.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Zagis are 48", just copy one, or cover it in glass, and melt out the foam. Here is a good place to look for flying wings, and airfoils.... http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/index.htm
Old 04-13-2004, 09:20 AM
dcairns

Why not vacuum bag the glass and kevlar over a foam core? Making a hollow molded flying wing using plugs, seems like a waste of effort, especially in that size wing.
As for airfoils, most flying wings use some reflex in the airfoil. There are a whole class of airfoils specifically designed for flying wings, so don't just just any airfoil. Also consider what you want the flight characteristics to be like. Do you want a slow easy flyer? Good combat plane? Fast flying? Aerobatic? These need to be taken into account when choosing your airfoil. You might start by looking at existing foam wings you see flying and find one that has flight characteristics that you like and copy it.

Read up on flying wing design here:
[link=http://www.twitt.org/]The Wing is the Thing[/link]