Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Seeking CF material info (like IFO planes) to make 20-40” dia arcs

Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Seeking CF material info (like IFO planes) to make 20-40” dia arcs

Old 04-18-2004, 05:35 AM
1Way

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Seeking CF material info (like IFO planes) to make 20-40” dia arcs

My first question is (Q1) what thickness is recommended to bend a rod of CF into 20-40” diameter arcs, and still have some flexible play left over so as to absorb shock instead of breaking during crash impact?

Goal
I want to create some bumpers to protect the prop/motor area, but also serve double duty as landing gear. And I may experiment with airframe structure as well.

Current similar designs
Looks like the flying disc style “IFO” airplanes are my main lead on material choice for large arc formations; they are made of carbon fiber rods or tubes. (Q2) Are the IFOs made of rods or tubes? What are the thickness sizes of (1) the main wing and (2) the rudder or ailerons, along with their overall dimensions (wingspan, etc)? Also I’d like some idea about how rigid they are. Do they easily flex, or are they pretty stiff?

I also wonderer if Kevlar or fiberglass or some composite, or (spring) steel wire, or maybe even piano wire or some sort, would work as good or better. (Q3) Do you have better suggestions than CF rod?

I imagine that CF would work well and greatly resist kinking or breaking even under high stress loads, so CF rod seem like my best choice so far, but I am very new to all this and seek your experience or understanding. (Q4) Can you break CF rods like those in the IFO. (NOTE, don’t try it if it might break ) Or do they exhibit excellent spring like properties? Not that it needs to be perfectly like a spring, I don’t mind loosing some tension over the years, but it would be good to know if there would be a significant loose of tension over a period of time, although these circles will mostly remain static and not move much, except for during a crash and during take off and landing.

Here are the basic physical attributes that I desire. [ul][*]Lightweight for model airplane use (roughly 1/2 - 2 lb models, perhaps 28-48” wingspans, backyard and park slow flyers)[*]Be as thin as possible for minimal wind drag[*]Able to bend (or form) it into approximately 20”-40” diameter circles, or semi circles. I realize that different thicknesses will work better at different sizes of diameter. Bending forces should “load” the rod so that it will become pretty resistant (yet semi flexible) to sudden impact forces[*]After the bends are formed, and during impact, the material should rather bend or twist than break[*]Be as affordable as possible[/ul] To sum up.

(Q1) What thickness is recommended to bend a rod of CF into 20-40” diameter arcs, and still have some flexible play left over so as to absorb shock instead of breaking during crash impact?
(Q2) Are the IFOs made of rods or tubes? What are the thickness sizes of (1) the main wing and (2) the rudder or ailerons, along with their overall dimensions (wingspan, etc)? Also I’d like some idea about how rigid they are. Do they easily flex, or are they pretty stiff?
(Q3) Do you have better suggestions than CF rod?
(Q4) Can you break CF rods like those in the IFO. (NOTE, don’t try it if it might break )Or do they exhibit excellent spring like properties? Not that it needs to be perfectly like a spring, I don’t mind loosing some tension over the years, but it would be good to know if there would be a significant loose of tension over a period of time, although these circles will mostly remain static and not move much, except for during a crash and during take off and landing.

Here are some pictures to help illustrate what I want to do. The wild eyed 4x4 looking plane (which I like very much) is a creation of Sloper Steve from these forums and he used some plastic rod that he acquired from his neighbor, so there’s not much to know about that. The hand drawing is my quick and feeble attempt at illustrating what I’d like to accomplish, although these plans are tentative and subject to change, but I am certainly intent on doing something along these lines.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32438.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	123517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38864.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	123518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50206.gif
Views:	4
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	123519  
Old 04-19-2004, 11:29 AM
buttuh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Seeking CF material info (like IFO planes) to make 20-40” dia arcs

Sorry but, are you trying to bend a straight CF tube into an arch for what you're doing?
Old 04-19-2004, 04:42 PM
1Way

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rods, not tubes. I only asked about tubes to see what the IFO is made of since I don't know if it has any tubes or is (most likely) all rods.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:07 PM
1Way

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Assistance is still requested.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:06 AM
chalket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sorry you didn't get any answers to your questions. I had some similar questions as I have been thinking of trying to build a larger version of the IFO (60"-72" wingspan) maybe using fiberglass kite spars. Unfortunately, I have never seen an actual IFO, only (lots of) pics so I can't help you either. [&o]