Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Joining two halves of a float

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Joining two halves of a float

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:08 AM
bigguyplanes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining two halves of a float

I laid up two halves of a fibreglas float,split vertically. and would like to know how to join them from the inside like you do a fuse. the problem is I cant get inside to lay a strip of cloth on the seam,as there is no hatches or openings. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanx in advance Allen
Old 04-22-2004, 06:15 AM
Mike James

Default RE: Joining two halves of a float

A method used for joining some molded wings will work in this case...

Find a good source for some finely chopped cotton, or some finely milled fiberglass. Mix it to a pasty consistency, like mayonnaise, and apply a bead around the perimeter of both float halves. Then carefully align them in the mold. (or tape them together, but don't screw up the alignment) and let it cure. Depending on your neatness, you may have a small bit of sanding to do, but nothing major.

The fiber in the filler gives you the structural strength you need without the usual resin-saturated tape.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:03 PM
bigguyplanes

Thanx Mike...I can see that working for ,say the bottom half of the float,but wont the top half just drip down? ( they are split from the top to the bottom) Allen
Old 04-24-2004, 02:40 AM
Mike James

You should mix the filler to a consistency that won't drip.

Also, (and I do this on almost every closed mold) it doesn't hurt to come back every once in a while, until the resin starts to tack in, and rotate the mold assembly... just to be sure.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:24 AM
bigguyplanes

Thanx again Mike,I had thought about rotating the float to force the two beads of mix to mate together.I will try it and let you know. regards Allen
Old 04-25-2004, 05:30 AM
Mike James

You're welcome.

When I was new to composites, I was introduced to a local scale guru who seemed to get everything perfect, when it came to fiberglassing, scale detailing, and painting. He was a "down home" type of guy, and didn't mind me hanging out and watching him work, asking questions, etc.. His simple and brilliant solution to the "flow" issues that can come up in modeling was this:

He simply built a rotating jig, like a large rotisseree, which rotated parts at about one revolution per minute. (I'm guessing about the speed, but it doesn't need to be fast.) Different model parts could be attached to it, using hardware store nuts and bolts. This helped with seams, evening out eposy, primer, paint, etc., and now years later, I see that others are using this method too. If you're attentive, you can do it by hand, but I like the idea of being able to leave parts rotating overnight. I don't currently use one myself, but often wish for one, and probably will build one this year.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:49 PM
bigguyplanes

Too bad out Bar B Q isnt 52" long or I would try it on my floats,sounds like a must have item in my shop. I will build one for sure. I may be leaning on you again in the future Mike.....Cheers Allen