Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Repairing a new glass fuselage

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Repairing a new glass fuselage

Old 04-28-2004, 11:33 AM
hcuellart
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing a new glass fuselage

Hi,
I just got a really old Jet Hangar Hobbies kit partially assembled and have a question for you guys:
There are a couple of broken parts/"slits" in some parts of the fuselage, how can I repair these? Should I just glass the inside and use filler on the outside. The fuse is new... I do want to get this one in the air sometime this summer.

What kind of cloth should I use 1/2 oz. or 3/4? Although I saw somewhere to use 2 oz. can this be?

Thanks and any additional input will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Homero Cuellar
Old 04-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Repairing a new glass fuselage

3/4 oz cloth is too light for repairs. Depending on the size of the damage 2 oz would be the minimum, for big holes up to 6oz is suitable.
clean up the inside of the fuselage with acetone,sand the area to be repaired and lay the cloth over the damage, brush on the resin. Fill the outside with resin/microballoons and blend with the rest of the fuselage.

If the fuselage is epoxy use only epoxy. If the fuselage is polyester epoxy can be used but polyester is preferable.

Ed S
Old 04-28-2004, 12:44 PM
hcuellart
My Feedback: (41)

This is the damage:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79736.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	127190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83939.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	127191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47854.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	127192  
Old 04-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Mike James

Agreeing with Ed (again)...

The fuselage was probably built to about an "8" or "10" (i.e. 2 layers of 4 oz. cloth, or one layer of 2 oz. cloth and a layer of 6 oz. cloth... whatever) So, I'd use repair materials that more or less match. Since it's on the inside anyway, the "bump" won't be important.

Bob Fiorenze, in his article regarding the repair of his severely damaged F-14, recommended tacking everything together (aligned!) with thin CA, sanding the interior and exterior, then proceeding with the repair. (It was severely damaged, in a mid-air.)