Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Monokote, patch or replace?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Monokote, patch or replace?

Old 05-12-2004, 01:01 AM
FearNoArt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote, patch or replace?

Had my first flight and first crash today, no major damage. Just some glueing to do, I put a few small holes in the monokote covering one of the wings, must have been from the weeds I landed.... er.... crashed on. I was just wondering, can monokote be pached? or would I have to replace all the covering on the wing? They are minor holes that just need to be patched if it can be.

Thanks.

If you want to read about the crash and see the video, I posted in the crash forum, here is a link to it.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/First_flight%2C_first_crash%2C_got_it_on_video/m_1807584/tm.htm]Crash[/link]
Old 05-12-2004, 01:24 AM
davidfee

Default RE: Monokote, patch or replace?

Patches are no problem... just cut a piece oversize and iron it in place, carefully working around the edges. I usually make a round or oval patch if it's a small hole in the center of a panel. If it's a long tear, I'd replace a whole bay between two ribs, for example.

Good luck,
-David
Old 05-12-2004, 09:02 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually use the 2" wide clear packing tape, until things get so bad that it warrants recovering.

Les
Old 05-12-2004, 12:41 PM
davidfee

That works too, Les!