Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglass Repair

Old 05-06-2004, 11:40 AM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fiberglass Repair

Hi,

I had a minor mishap in my shop with my Great Planes GEE BEE and now have a couple of small holes in the tail. The holes are a little larger then 1/8 inch. They will not hurt the plane structure but the look like crap. I need to know if the following procedure will work as a repair or is their a better way of fixing the holes.

- On the inside of the fuse I'll sand down the area around the holes with 220 sandpaper and clean it up with rubbing alcohol.
- Mix 30 minute epoxy and thin it down and spread around the area then place a strip of fiberglass cloth over the holes and smooth it down with the more thin epoxy.
- After the epoxy dries I will move to the outside of the fuse and apply bondo into the holes.
- After the bond dries I will sand it smooth and blend it into the rest of the fuse.
- Final step will be to repaint those areas with LusterKote.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 01:30 PM
buttuh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Fiberglass Repair

That sounds ok. I would substitute the bondo with epoxy based filler.. but whatever rocks your boat.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:20 PM
RJCapt.
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just had to touch up my JHH F-86....i bought it from a guy who had already started and he dremelled out the wheel well for the nose wheel a bit too big so i filled it in and re-did it.....here's what worked for me...

1. On the outside I layed up a piece of plastic that i had coated with pva..taped it down so it was flush with the shape of the fuse.

2. from the inside i layed up two layers of 6 oz. glass cloth...i put the resin down first and let the cloth absorb the resin from underneath brushing it lightly.

3. after is sat overnight i just peeled off the tape holding down the plastic and peeled the plastic off....after its sanded lightly and primed you wont know the difference.

I thought about doing it your way sorta..filing in the gaps with epoxy and microballoons...but i always end up having to lay up at least two layers and it takes so long before you can sand that stuff...anyway, hope this helps...

chris
Old 05-13-2004, 01:49 AM
canadianjosh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At 1/8 of an inch the holes are not too large, however for a repair that will last forever put in the cloth and epoxy and let it cure to tacky then from the underside use epoxy and microballons so that they form a chemical bond with the epoxy and cloth. this way it'll never vibrate out. Also your initial idea would work, these holes are so small that just bondo alone would fill them.