Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Good Prices on Carbon Fabric

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Good Prices on Carbon Fabric

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 09:22 PM
phil barnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Prices on Carbon Fabric

If you have a need for some some carbon fabric then you should check out the specials that CARBCOM is currently offering.

CARBCOM is where I buy the carbon/S-glass fabric that I use on all of my production wings and on the vacuum bagging DVD.
http://www.paonline.com/hayman/video.htm
It is rather hit or miss with CARBCOM. They make a big run of carbon fabric and have stuff in stock for a while but then they run out for a long time. In some cases, they will get a good deal on some carbon tow and buy a bunch of it. Then they have it all woven into fabrics and have a big sale or special to sell it all off. This is one of those times.

If you have any interest in carbon fabric, go to the link below and click on "super specials".
http://www.carb.com/index.html

I will be buying some fabric at the 10 roll price. I'll at least buy a few rolls of the stuff I normally use on production wings. I'll buy some other types if I can find some people willing to share a roll of it. I only need to buy a full roll of any one fabric type to get the ten roll price so I am hoping to get a little help to share a full roll of some things I don't normally use in production. I'll list below the fabric types I have in mind. If you see anything else on the CARBCOM special list or in the regular product list, just drop me an E mail and let me know what you would like to get. If we get enough interest in any one fabric type, I'll go ahead and order a roll.

1) The stuff I use on production wings is part number 3350-30TY. Ten roll price is $6.40 per yard. 3.5 oz per square yard.

2) 3390-30TY This is the same stuff as number one above except it uses the really expensive 1K carbon as the cross thread. It works the same way as the stuff I normally use but some guys prefer to have the carbon cross threads. Ten roll price is $15.80 per yard. 3.9 oz per square yard.

3) 3570-30TY This the balanced carbon cloth with 3K carbon in each direction. Weight is 5.7 oz per square yard. I have used this on Logic HL fuselages. It is a very common fabric which usually sells for about $22.00 per yard in about 40" widths. The ten roll price is $8.19 per yard for 30" wide.

4) 1300-40T This is the very light and very expensive balanced carbon. It is expensive because it is woven from the very expensive 1K carbon tow. You normally pay close to $90 a yard for this stuff buying in small quantities. Ten roll price is $44.00 a yard. This is 40" wide and 3.0 oz per square yard. this one is not on CARBCOM's special sheet but just in regular stock.

5) 3480-30TY I have my eye on this stuff for highly stressed wings or parts of wings which are highly stressed. It is the same as what I use for all productiion wings now except that it uses 8 pics per inch of 3K carbon for the cross threads. There is a type of construction I am considering which may be aided buy having skin stiffness in the chordwise direction. Ten roll price on this stuff is $7.15 per yard. If you are curious about the new "weblets" construction idea, check the link below;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248256

I'm posting this message in a number of different groups. If I get enough responses I will do something like this; I'll order the rolls of carbon and sell the stuff to others in smaller quantities. I may only sell in 5 or 10 yard batches or I may decide to sell whatever quantity people want. I'll charge something like $5 for shipping supplies per order (I'll have to buy some cardboard tubes to roll fabric on and some shipping boxes). I may charge something like $2 a yard more than what I payed for it to cover my time a little. Of course I'll pass along shipping costs from me to you. The shipping cost from CARBCOM to me will be added on and that is usually anywhere from $20- $50 per roll ($.20-$.50 per yard). The above numbers are just off the top of my head and subject to reconsideration. I just wanted to give some idea of the numbers you would be looking at. It is certainly going to be a lot cheaper than any other price you are likely to find. CARBCOM does sell cut yardage to anyone who wants it but you will pay the full retail price per yard plus a cut fee plus shipping from Hawaii.

Drop me an E mail at [email protected] if you have any interest in any of this. I'll be in Canada for a couple weeks but I'll see what sort of response I have when I get back.

Phil Barnes
Old 07-26-2004, 10:12 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Good Prices on Carbon Fabric

If your looking for bulk purchases of 2.4 oz Carbon Fabric, let me know.

I would be interested in roughly 5 yards 50" wide.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:21 AM
buttuh

I can get them for much cheaper than that. Carbcom are great people, but their prices are too high.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:15 AM
phil barnes

ORIGINAL: buttuh

I can get them for much cheaper than that. Carbcom are great people, but their prices are too high.
Would you care to enlighten us as to what you can buy for cheaper than which and where?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:14 AM
davidfee

Yes, I'm sure we'd all like to know.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:04 AM
phil barnes

I will be ordering some shipping supplies and a few rolls of carbon in the next couple days. I'll be able to quote exact pricing for the various carbon types once everything comes in and I see what my final cost is.

I got a huge response for the 3350-30TY. If you ever had an interest in trying my vac bagging methods you should consider getting some of this carbon now. I've never seen it cheaper than it is now. I've never seen this type of carbon sold anywhere else and CARBCOM tends to go for long periods of time with this item out of stock.

I got a small response for the other carbon types. I'll go ahead and order one roll each of the 3480-30TY and the 3570-30TY.

I won't order any 3390-30TY unless I get more interest.

I also won't order any 1300-40TY. I got a good lead on a much better price on some better fabric. The new stuff is 2.4 ounce per square yard. It is still woven as a balanced fabric but with fewer of the 1K carbon tows per inch. It is 1 meter wide indicating that it comes from overseas, probably Europe. The amazing thing is the price; It is being sold at $35 per yard for cut yardage and $27 per yard for full rolls. I am still waiting for a call back about availability. He only had a partial roll left and was going to call back to let me know when/if he could get a full roll. Let me know if you have interest in this deal.

Phil
Old 08-12-2004, 12:25 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I just bought some 50" wide 2.4 oz carbon fabric at $25 a yard.