Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Laminating C/F to liteply? (Firewall Reinforcement)

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Laminating C/F to liteply? (Firewall Reinforcement)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laminating C/F to liteply? (Firewall Reinforcement)

I'm building a CA Models Widebody 40 that has a 1/8" lite-ply firewall, which I think would be in-sufficient for my YS-63. Instead of re-inforcing with more lite-ply, I would like to try something different such as carbon fiber. I have looked into the options, and I would rather laminate some C/F to my 1/8" lite ply laser cut firewall piece, rather than buying a C/F plate... mainly because of the cost.

Can any of you give me advice in making this happen, such as what weight to use, any pointers, or any other options available?

This is a picture from the online photo manual for the CA Models Widebody 40. They used a 46FX in thier test plane, but the image will give you a general idea of what I'm working with. I haven't glued the FW to the plane yet.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Old 09-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Mike James

Default RE: Laminating C/F to liteply? (Firewall Reinforcement)

My opinion:

If you're sure that the firewall is (poplar) "lite ply", the simplest solution would be to simply substitute 1/8" birch ply. I've used this as firewalls for engines as large as a YS .91 4-stroke, with no problems.

Carbon fiber is expensive and unnecessary in this application... Plus the weight you would add with the epoxy laminate would make the weight difference negligible.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

ya, I just thought it would look cool mainly I can just re-inforce with with wood and cover it in c/f ultracote lol!
Old 09-06-2004, 10:17 PM
AmirN
My Feedback: (18)

I've used 1/8" aircraft ply on 1.20/1.40 size patternships with no problems. I don't know what type of light ply they have supplied, but that should be enough for a YS 63.....Since you are going to fuel proof the firewall anyway, might as well lay a layer of 2ish oz glass cloth on there too and one layer on the inside, should be enough with the 1/8" light ply....I would trust it if it were my own plane.....The other thing you can do is to glue two pieces of 1/8" thick light ply rails 3/4" wide to the back of the firewall, which runs from side-to-side. You want these to be located where the engine mount holes go through them...

Good luck,
Amir