Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Wax only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:54 PM
tommyboy1229

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax only?

I know this has been discussed before but can I use partall wax alone on a plug to pull a mold off of? I would prefer to do as little buffing as possible on the finished mold. It seems a waste of time to get a perfect mirror finish on my plugs and then get a textured finish from the PVA. I know you can use wax only on a mold once it has a few parts pulled off of it. Thanks for your input.

Tom
Old 09-10-2004, 10:37 PM
davidfee

Default RE: Wax only?

Yes, you can use wax only... and Partall is a good wax. It's important to follow directions and apply 6-10 coats. Don't apply one or two and then wonder why something sticks.

You can also get a very good finish with PVA if you apply it correctly (airbrush). Wax only is easier and more convenient in many ways, however.

Good luck,
-David
Old 09-11-2004, 02:19 PM
soholingo

Dolphin Wax.

I only did 4 coats, let it sit over night, laid up the part, and it came right off...

If I had to use PVA, I don't think I would ever mold anything...

j
Old 09-11-2004, 06:26 PM
davidfee

Jay,
With all due respect, when you have a lot of time and money tied up in your molds you may want to reconsider that procedure.

-David
Old 09-11-2004, 09:58 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I used 6 coats of dolphin wax, and a layer of PVA and I still had a couple of areas stick on my first piece. I know I did a good job with the wax, but it still stuck a little here and there.

I was able to get a pretty smooth coat of PVA down, by building it up slowly with 4 really lite coats with my HVLP gun. I painted in the mold also, and the finish came out very good.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:08 AM
AmirN
My Feedback: (18)

I've used Partall only (no pva) on a set of molds.....One coat and no problems. I pulled 11 fuselages and rudders. When buffing the wax to a shine, it's likely that some of the wax can be removed and/or one can't tell the difference between where there is wax and where there is not. I had a small area stick once when the wax was polished to a shine before lay up. However, I tried a different technique that gave me the best results and was the fastest when using only one coat of Partall (no pva)........I applied the wax in a thin coat so it was still cloudy and didn't polish it at all...this way the dull finish assured there was wax everywhere that looked dull/cloudy. The parts came out easiest I've seen and the finish was very smooth as before.......I can send pictures of the fuselage if anyone is interested.

Amir
Old 09-12-2004, 08:33 PM
tommyboy1229

Thanks for the input everyone.
AmirN if you left the wax cloudy what was the finish on the part like? Pictures would be great.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-13-2004, 03:07 AM
AmirN

Tommyboy1229, the finish looked just as smooth as a polished mold surface. The wax was left cloudy, but spread thinly and evenly without any lumps or bumps.....I'll figure out how to post a couple of pictures here soon.

Amir
Old 09-14-2004, 01:38 AM
AmirN

Here's a fuselage and rudder.........and a built plane from a customer. It was a fun project I did with Michael Luvara, who owns the molds and made them too. The plane was offered as a kit; fuselage as you see it, foam cores, canopy, plans and instructions. I think Michael has a write up some where on this site about Tsunami.

Have fun,
Amir
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74033.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	173171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73753.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	173172  
Old 09-14-2004, 09:02 AM
davidfee

Yeah, ok... leaving the wax hazy might be ok when you're sanding/priming/painting after you pull the part, but I like to paint the parts in the mold... so the finish of the wax (or whatever) in the mold is exactly what I'll get on the finished part. I like to see my reflection, in other words.

-David
Old 09-14-2004, 09:12 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

One of these days, I'm going to have to put that Tsunami together. Michael did a nice job on it, and the box is just gathering dust in the garage...
Old 09-14-2004, 06:17 PM
tommyboy1229

I know what your saying David. I would like to paint in the mold, but I don't know if my parting lines on these particular molds are sharp enough.

Tom
Old 09-15-2004, 01:07 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually, I don't believe you used partal Amir.. It was another wax that was meant to be strictly a release (I can't remember the name offhand, as I am out of town at the moment). Partall would work only if you have a really well seasoned mold.

Michael
Old 09-15-2004, 04:04 AM
AmirN

Are you telling me I'm having a senior citizen moment ;-)

Amir