Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Newbie fiberglass help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 10:16 AM
hiawathax2
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie fiberglass help

I have a Messerschmitt 110 kit that i am going to be starting in the next few weeks and i was just going to build it and monokote it like all my other warbirds, but i came across a post here talking about fiberglassing. I hadn't really thought about it before but i think i may like to try it on this bird because the fuse is already fiberglass and i am going to have to paint it anyway. I really want to keep this airplane light and fast so i am seeking the advice of wiser men! What are the pro's and cons of glass? Can i do it and not screw it upon my first try or should i practice on another plane first? If so, what resin/cloth should i use?

Ben
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94515.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	175191  
Old 09-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie fiberglass help

HIA > I see you only have 5 postings so welcome to RCU.

RCU has an overwhelming source of kowledge already posted about this topic. There are various techniques to fiberglassing, some use finishing resin, some use water based polyurethane, some add denatured alcohol to the resin, some use .5oz glass, some use .75oz glass.

Personally I use Z-pozy finishing mixed with alcohol to thin it out so not as much is absorbed into the balsa. I also use .75 oz cloth instead of .5 but that's my personal preference. Fiberglassing adds only a few oz more to a wing or stab panel but the real weight gain is in the paint.

I would suggest you do a search on this subject and you'll find everyting you are wanting to know about the subject. Do a test panel, then you'll find out what best for your application.

BTW, here is one of my planes that I glassed and painted. It weights 1/2 lb more than my other prototype that is covered.

Kelvin.