Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Glass work

Old 10-13-2004, 02:21 PM
airmcn_3
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Glass work

I was curious on what you would do to make fiberglass harder after it is sanded, I had to cut the pass throughs on my booms for a 100in P38, I made the holes that the wing pass through slightly larger than the wing with glass on it, I then set my pods up semetrically and made glass strips to run along the booms and bond to the wing, The Gaps between the booms and the wing are just very slightly flexiable and I am worried about the paint cracking after it is finished, so is there anything I could brush or spray to harden the glass????? Otherwise Ill gelcoat it, I would just prefer not to do that due to weight. any info is appreciated Thanks Chris
Old 10-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Balsa Master

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Glass work

i dont think theres much you can do after its already cured. but maybe if you apply a very thin layer of very highstrength epoxy (mix it EXACTLY or it will be gel) and brush it over that might stiffen it up. however the flexable epoxy has already hardened inside the fibers and theres nothing you can do to make the fiberglass itsels stiffer. (or maybe thros a strip of CF over it?) dont no how close you are on weight.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you can reach inside that area, the best way to stiffen it (and the lightest) would be to epoxy a piece of Kevlar or carbon to the inside, on the joint you mention. If you scuff up the area to be bonded, you'll get good mechanical bonding with your reinforcement patch, and it will be stiffer. (Resin alone will be stiff, but weaker, due to it's brittleness... It can crack rather easily.)
Old 10-14-2004, 10:36 AM
airmcn_3
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cool thanks guys