Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

FOAM COWL PLUG QUESTION

Old 10-18-2004, 06:57 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FOAM COWL PLUG QUESTION

Hi guys,
I made a foam plug for a cowl this weekend. I'm think I am going to coverite with econokote and then lay up the cloth over that and pull down tight with panty hose and apply my resin through the hose...like that article shown in Model Airplane news a while back. My question is I've tried this before and was happy with the results but was not happy with how the cowl came off the plug. My question is should I apply a coat or two of a release wax I have in my workshop so it releases easier? There are no negative angles and I'm going to use the West Systems epoxy resin. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Tom
Old 10-19-2004, 05:58 AM
Fredo-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: FOAM COWL PLUG QUESTION

Im assuming youre using white foam for the plug.. If so dont bother to cover the foam with econokote. Simply lay the cloth over the plug and use EPOXY resin to fill the weave and build up to the required thickness.Once dry Eg a couple of days fill plug with petrol and it will disolve.
Tip..Finish cowel with micro ballons and resin to desired standard before you fill with petrol as it is a one off Plug if used this way.