Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

"Eliminator 2" molds under way

Old 12-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Rubbie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: "Eliminator 2" molds under way

Mike what type or brand of Epoxy tooling gel do you use? I went to my local (Toronto Canada) composite store and they have not heard of Epoxy based tooling gel, just the polyester based one.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:23 AM
TGoodwin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My partner wants to do the test flights there, because it's a great place to shoot photos and video, and because there are some people at Triple Tree who have said they want to see the thing fly.
I have found that having a bunch of people around for the test flights is not a good idea for me anyway. I am very deliborate and slow when it comes to going over everything. People get impatient. They expect you to walk out setup and put it in the air. Never happens on my test flights. They always ask a bunch of questions. Not a problems unless it is during the test flight and it always is. I try and schedule my test flights at a time when there are a minimum of flyers at the field. Then there are the people that can not stand down just for a couple of minutes or they just do not know any better. The third test flight on mine was a good example. There were only three flyers at the field that day. I assumed they would stand down at least until I got it back on or in the ground but the one decided the test fly a new F4U. He was having problems with the motor and kept ground looping it on the runway. He came out and blocked the runway at just about the moment I needed to land. The result was that wild deadstick landing. In the future I will ask the others to please stand down for a couple of minutes.

Ted
Old 12-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You're right, Ted. It's better to be able to go extra slow, and not be distracted.

Rubble:

I've been using West Systems #1099 "Surfacing Resin" for almost 15 years. (It used to be sold under the name "Akemi", before it became a West Systems product. (It's white, but can be pigmented any color you want. I use black, for molds.)
Old 01-01-2005, 01:59 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Mike,

Well smooth inlets could be very small, maybe 5-7 square inches. If they are a flush cutout (ie not facing forward) , then I would make them 50% bigger.

The key will be getting the right pipe design. Venturi design at the rear of the pipe creates a heavy vacuum at the front of the pipe, and that will pull the air into the inlets. Get the pie right and then just keep cutting the went holes bigger until you don't collapse the fuse!
Old 01-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Matt.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:56 PM
macro-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

beautiful work Mike, most I'm learning is from your web site....
Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our required glass hasn't arrived yet, so we've been working on other details such as the parting boards for the wing molds, etc., and are gearing up to make the prototype. In the meantime, I've created a little "Research and Development" page on the plane, for those of you interested in how this airplane came to be, at http://www.nextcraft.com/j47_development.html

Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16563.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	212041  
Old 01-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Flying Hog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is so cool Mike..... Can't wait till we see The real thing and performance report. Keep it up.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Bob.

"On or berfore January 11th" is what we've heard about our glass shipment. So, it shouldn't be long...
Old 01-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here we go with the first molded fuselage...

Since we don't have our former patterns finalized for laser-cutting yet, it was always our intention for the first fuselage to be made extra heavy duty, so we could slice it up, check, and create some patterns. Here's the heavy duty fuselage out of the molds, with one of the already-molded canopies in place. The second image is a photo from inside the fuselage, looking forward from the tail.

We got our glass shipment today, so we can keep moving, making the prototype.

Name:	Lj22836.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	216668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20639.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	216669  
Old 01-18-2005, 06:59 AM
Flying Hog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike...It looks too good to slice up!!!! Beauitful work, Keep it going
Old 01-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's the fuselage sliced up, and the resulting formers.

Since I'm making the wing molds using the sand/epoxy method, I'll just post those updates in this thread... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24...tm.htm#2571257

Today, I've pulled the parting boards from the first halves of the wing molds, and they look good. (See the above thread)

When we start making parts, in a week or so, then I'll posting here again.

Name:	Fd93081.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	218980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17708.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	218981  
Old 01-22-2005, 09:18 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

Are you planning on glassing in the formers and then matting the two fuse halves together? Or will the formers be installed after the fuse is completely laid up?

Looking good!

JR Gautreaux
Old 01-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We'll vacuum bag both fuselage halves. Then we'll install the formers in the bottom of the fuselage, (using an "Aeropoxy"-type adhesive) and let them cure long enough that they won't move. Then we'll apply a bead of the same adhesive across the tops of the formers, join the mold halves, and flip the whole assembly upside down. That way, any adhesive that moves will form a nice fillet where the formers join the top fuselage half.

We probably will install all the formers except the firewall, for two reasons: (It can be installed after assembly, through the top hatch)

We have a method of installing the firewall that will accomodate different size engines, and we know that many flyers will automatically install a larger engine than we recommend. The servo and tank support plate that attaches between the firewall and the next former forward is inserted into slots in both pieces. So, if the builder installs the firewall, and then the support plate, The structure will look and function the same, regardless of engine choice. (Even for much larger engines, we're talking about a difference of about 1 inch.)

Second, there are issues to be considered with the muffler. We are specifically making the stock parts to accomodate the OS .61 FX, since it's a very popular sport engine. Those builders who use different engines and mufflers may have to modify the interior of the tail a bit. Our system routes air into the engine compartment directly, through NACA inlets, then through ducts on the inside walls of the fuselage, creating a plenum effect in the "cowling". The air can only exit the cowling two ways... It can exit through the rear of the tail, through pre-defined outlets on each side of the spinner, and we're providing a molded and heat-treated fiberglass duct which surrounds the stock muffler where it goes through the firewall, and directs it out through the bottom of the plane. That way, no "goop" gets blown all over the inside of the airplane, and both the engine and muffler get cooling air forced over them. There's an opening in the former just in front of the firewall, through which additional air can enter the muffler compartment, when the gear is down and the gear doors are open.

I've attached a couple of our CAD images which illustrate what I'm saying.

Name:	Ro41582.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	219150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44589.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	219151  
Old 01-23-2005, 09:25 AM
jetflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

Thanks for the explanation, looks like you got everything covered. Say, what CAD program are you using? I like the drawings.

JR Gautreaux
Old 01-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR,

The software I use for all the 3D images on my site (and here) is "Carrara Studio 4", from Eovia. ( http://www.eovia.com ) It runs on Mac or PC. ( I'm a Mac user. ) My partner in this venture, W.C. Fischer, ( http://www.panacea-engineering.com ) whose shop and facilities we're using, is an AutoCad whiz, so when we need 2D CAD, he's the man. We can import each other's files, so it's not hard. And, we can physically scan parts for import, too.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:26 PM
jetflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

I'm envious of your resources that you have available. It's always nice when you can do everything from A to Z and not have to rely on another party. I'm building a CNC Router that works with a Dremel so that I can convert CAD files into real parts. It would be nice to be able to scan a part into CAD and then my CNC Router could duplicate them.

JR Gautreaux
Old 01-24-2005, 05:18 AM
N2EC
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jettflyer,

Are you using any set of plans for your CNC Router....I am also interested..could you PM me details as it not related to the "Eliminator"...

Thanks.

Jack
Old 01-24-2005, 04:04 PM
K Jorgensen
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Mike

That is some realy nice work that you are doing. But way are you cutting up a fuse when, when you have made drawings of your formers in your drawings of you kit. I do know that your mold will never fit you drawing 100%. But if that is the case, Harald that is building the SU27 has a nice way of making drawing of formers.
http://www.su27projekt.de/seite24.htm

Anyway keep up the nice work. And will we see it with a turbine at some time.

A picture off my drawing i SolidWorks...just like to play around.

Name:	Ca81997.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	220057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29586.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	220058  
Old 01-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Kim,

Thank you. The reason for the slices is simply to have a better fit. Two reasons...

First. we made a couple of small changes during plug-making, that are different from the drawings, and second, the CAD drawings don't precisely account for fiberglass seams, and their tape or extra fabric, glue fillets, epoxy/Cabosil fillets in corners, etc.. We felt that the sliced fuselage would give us more precision-fitting formers, (since the slices show you the inside )and that those same slices could be used then, in reverse, to update our CAD model.

I've just finished doing all the new formers, and am really happy with the results. It looks like we have nearly a week to wait for our next shipment of epoxy, so I'll be doing some other pre-planning work as well, and posting them on the site. (As before, the article begins at http://www.nextcraft.com/j47_sportjet01.html and we're up to "Construction 09" in the article.

Recently, I added a "Research and Development" article too, which is at http://www.nextcraft.com/j47_development.html It shows how the model has evolved over the last couple of years.

I always follow Harald's work. The SU-27 is one of the projects highlighted on my "Great Projects to Learn From" page, at http://www.nextcraft.com/great_projects.html He is a master builder, and I think we all admire the precision of his work.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Today, I've mocked up the molded wing's internal parts, and everything seems to fit ok. (photo attached)

We'll be testing two versions... One with a glass/balsa/glass skin, and one with just a glass skin. We've done some tests on tail parts and gear doors, using a layer of 2 oz. cloth, a piece of 1/32" balsa, and another layer of 2 oz. cloth, and the results are remarkably stiff and light. So, it's just a matter of seeing how much the wing's internal structure stiffens the wing. We'll see in a few days. I'm waiting on an epoxy shipment, so we can finish the second half of the wing molds.

Name:	Sp45521.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	221459  
Old 02-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our epoxy arrived, and I've just finished the second halves of the wing molds. That's it for the prototype molds. Next step is molding and assembly of the prototype, and on to the test flights. (finally!)
(Latest updates are at http://www.nextcraft.com/j47_sportjet10.html )

Name:	Ec87947.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	225063  
Old 02-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've spent today cleaning up the molds, and prepping them to make parts. Here, you can clearly see the resin-collecting trench at the rear of the wing, which also serves to help us trim the trailing edge in a nice straight line.

Finally, we start molding and assembling the prototype... tomorrow!

Name:	Pn37218.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	225800  
Old 02-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Flying Hog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Grinning Ear to Ear..... Good luck on the build Mike....
Old 02-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you! It'll be especially nice to be working on an actual airplane for a change, rather than plugs, molds, CAD, etc.. Should be fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service