Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

3D surface modeling expert help needed!!!

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

3D surface modeling expert help needed!!!

Old 11-22-2004, 03:52 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D surface modeling expert help needed!!!

I'm trying like heck to model a cowling for a 28% 50cc Edge 540 using MicroStation /J. I've tried using series of degenerate Coons patches but can't seem to get the surfaces smooth enough near the patch joints. Can anyone help? I'm VERY experienced in 3D solid modeling using MicroStation but my experience is limited to non-organic shapes. When it comes to b-spline based surfaces / solids I'm a moron.

My goal is to have the cowling plug CNC'd out of polyurethane foam for subsequent glassing and post-finishing to produce molds from. The cowling will be used on a plane that I'm designing and going to scratch build (if the results are satisfactory I may kit it). The rest of the solid modeling is 98% done and ready to send off to the laser cutters...my only hang-up right now is the cowling.

PLEASE HELP! I'LL HOOK YOU UP, I PROMISE!

Thanks in advance,
-Tom
Old 11-22-2004, 10:32 PM
gustavo Campana
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 3D surface modeling expert help needed!!!

dear
we are from Argentina, we are making CNC works, we use rhino and CNC machine.
if you need make a complete process , we can make for you if you has the iges files or similar
we can make plug and mold,
contact ; [email protected]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:56 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

I did something similar using Scheme scripting of ACIS 3D componenets:

First, I made an outline of the firewall, then the backplate of the spinner. Finally I used what is called "lofting with guidelines" to create the surface between the two cross sections. Then I generated the colored cross-sections (to glue the templates between the layers of foam) by intersecting the part with equally spaced parallel planes.

As far as I know, MicroStation isn't based on ACIS, so, it may not have lofting capabilities. But even those CAD systems, which are based on 3D modelers supporting this kind of operations, may not use all the features of the underlying modelers...
[8D]
Old 11-23-2004, 07:52 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks for the help. I finally got things under control...the thread is [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3D_surface_modeling_expert_help_needed%21%21%21/m_2366688/tm.htm]HERE[/link].

-Tom