Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Warped Formers

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 09:16 PM
cassat10
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped Formers

Hello,

What is the best method to keep lite fly formers from warping? A layer of composite cloth on top?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Mike James

Default RE: Warped Formers

We keep our sheets of 1/8" lite ply stacked flat, on a flat surface, and that's generally enough. Once it's in a structure, it would take a lot to warp it. You could always laminate something to it, but then you're adding weight, and unless you laminate both sides, it's no guarantee that it won't warp.

When I laminate formers, I do it on a glass table, on a piece of waxed paper, and then place another piece of waxed paper on top, followed by a very heavy weight, such as another piece of glass, until it's cured. Any type of "press" would work.

What kind of problem are you having?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:10 PM
cassat10
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Warped Formers

Mike
Thanks for your reply.
The problem is due to a dryer humidity level I believe causing the flat sheets to warp before the formers can even be cut out to shape. I will make a bed of glas for them to lay flat on and see if that is of any help right now.
Dave