Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Painting Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 07:24 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Parts

Like to know what you prefer to paint your parts with?

I've been using Krylon in the past, but I get orange peel on some of my parts. I have an air compressor and would be interested in perhaps spraying my parts, but I'd like to know what type of paint to use. I know some use PPG, but I don't have a respirator to handle it application.

thanks,

JR Gautreaux
Old 01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Lamar Blair

Default RE: Painting Parts

I use PPG but I can tell you a trick that could help you and this will work with all spray can paint. The day before you are going to paint put the can of paint on your hot water heater. That is right I did say the hot water heater this will heat the paint in the can and you will get a better spray pattern.

The orange peel will go away!!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:13 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

JR, keep your eye on ebay for the forced air respirator, I got mine new for $200.00 and some change. I've used the PPG products with incredible success and only expect it to get better at it. I've used HVLP guns in two sizes from Ebay and Home depot that have worked well.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:27 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Sean,

I did follow the post in the jet forum about forced air respirators and will check ebay. My problem is that the only place I have to spray PPG paint is in my garage which is attached to my house. I don't want to use anything that might affect my family unknowingly. A buddy of mine uses nothing but Krylon and gets really good results. But I noticed on the choppers shows on Discovery they seem to spray the bike frames and tanks without a forced air respirator and only a cartridge type mask. I'd like to know what type of paint they are spraying. Also, while playing my Xbox and on Xbox Live, I started a conversation with a painter and he said they took iso's out of paint years ago. Before the game ended, I forgot to ask him exactly what type of paint he worked with. He painted stuff for the military.

JR Gautreaux
Old 01-31-2005, 10:35 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. I have a double door system to enter my house from my garage and only paint when no one is home. When I'm done, I open the garage door and run a box fan for a while. I shot some PPG Primer the other day with the new forced air system and the difference was unbelievable. I never smelled a thing! I could never get that with the cartridge system. I have no idea if teh iso's are in there or not, but that "fresh" paint smell was so nice not to have to inhale for the first time. I'll never paint without it again. In my opinion even the odor of krylon and others is bad for you. Hell, I wore my forced air while doing some significant isobar sanding the other night. No balsa dust up my nostril for a change. What a deal!