Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

How to bond: glass to glass, glass to wood...

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

How to bond: glass to glass, glass to wood...

Old 09-21-2002, 01:11 AM
rpmtech
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to bond: glass to glass, glass to wood...

Composite materials have several little tricks that need to be learned to use them successfully. One of them is bonding, bonding them together, or bonding them to other materials.

If you need to install a plywood former, firewall etc,
here is a successful way to achieve a good bond:

After making sure the part/s fit correctly:

First, clean surfaces are your friends. Clean from ANY and every type of contaminents, including your grimey little fingerprints.
Put on some gloves and clean the surface using Acetone and a new rag and thouroughly wipe down the area.

Next, with gloves still on, scuff the mating surface with 80 or 120 grit sandpaper, and the wood part/s also. You want a scuffed surface everywhere the Epoxy will be.

Again repeat the cleaning process. after everything is cleaned, You need to do what is called a "hot coat". A hot coat is when you brush on some Epoxy to the mating surface with no thickener {Cab-O-Sil or Colloidial silica} added yet. The Idea is that the thinner epoxy will penetrate all of the pores and scratches left from the scuffing up step. This step is especially inportant for parts that are porous{wood, foam etc}.

Now mix the epoxy with the Cab-O-Sil. You just want enough thickener so that it does not run from the mixing stick, A mixture in beteween mayonnaise and peanut butter thick. Do NOT add Microspheres or Microballons or glass bubbles or what ever name you want to use for these into this mixture, These were not designed to use to thicken resin for bonding. You can however if you want the ultimate strength, although usually not necessary, is add some Milled fibers or kevlar pulp.

If you are using the Aeropoxy style glue, the hotcoat still applies.

Position your part/s next and then try and make a nice fillet wherever you can. I say try because it takes some patience to get a nice looking fillet for a bulkhead or whatever the part is.

After you clean up thats it! very easy but sometimes these steps are overlooked. One of the drawbacks of improperly done composite bonds is that it will appear to hold well, then all of a sudden in will break totally free. Not a good thing for a flying machine!

Good luck and have fun
Old 09-21-2002, 01:20 AM
rpmtech

Default Glass bubbles

Here is an interesting thing I herd about glass bubbles, aka Microspheres.

They were originally developed to use for flotation on deep submergence vessels. The idea is that they needed something that would have bouyancy, but would not crush under the extreme pressures of deep sea diving like foam would. so they would cast these billets of "foam" with resin and glass bubbles.

Pretty cool idea.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:25 AM
arjunchopra

Waht r Micro Balloons ?

REgards.

arjun
Old 09-21-2002, 04:13 AM
rpmtech

Microscopic Glass Spheres that are hollow.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:03 AM
Mike James

Default Parts in glass fuselages

This comment is not to disagree, but to suggest another option for installing formers and other items in composite fuselages. (I've used the method above with success too.)

One of my favorite adhesives for the interior of a composite fuselage is silicone. (or it's hobby variants, like the Zap "Goo")

After sanding and cleaning the parts, you can encapsulate a firewall or other former in the fuselage with a fillet of silicone, and it not only holds securely, but adds vibration damping as well. The other bonus is that the silicone can be cut away to remove the part later, if needed.... Not so easy with milled glass and epoxy!

Just be sure and keep an eye on the arts to insure alignment, while the silicone begins to cure.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:08 AM
rpmtech

That sounds like an idea, I'll have to try it.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:36 AM
arjunchopra

Waht r Micro Ballons Used for ?

Where can one purchase it ?

Regards.

Arjun
Old 10-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Ed Smith

Microballoons are hollow glass spheres. The material looks like a white powder. I have seen brown. The material is used as a sanding filler. It is mixed with epoxy or polyester resin to create fillets. Addition of the material to the resin makes a past that can be used to fill holes, create fillets and use generally where a filler is used. The more microballoons in the resin the easier it will be to sand. However if the mix is too dry it may not adhere too well. Microballoons do not add strength to the resin. It is a lot lighter than automobile body filler.

Hobby stores carry it in small amounts. I believe SIG markets it. I purchase mine from a Fibreglass products store. It cost me $15 CDN for a four litre container.

Ed S
Old 10-02-2002, 09:59 PM
sean mercer
My Feedback: (2)

what kind of silicone?
Old 10-02-2002, 10:11 PM
Mike James

Default Silicone

I honestly don't think the brand of silicone matters much. I've used a variety of brands over the years, from ZAP "Goo" to common "Goop" from the hardware store. There may be subtle differences that someone else here can point out, but I haven't seen a practical difference with the varieties I've used.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:17 PM
sean mercer

Default silicone

and I can use it on a firewall with a pumped and piped 60?
Old 10-02-2002, 10:54 PM
Mike James

Default Silicone

I've used it on a plane I designed, which had a YS .61LS and pipe, and had no problems. (Fiberglass fuselage, prepped inside with sandpaper, and cleaned with a dab of acetone on a rag)

To be clear, the method of firewall mounting that I used was to encapsulate the firewall on both sides, with a small fillet of silicone, smoothed with the rounded end of a popsicle stick.

That experience in particular is the one that convinced me that silicone-type adhesives were good for this application. I especially like it that if you want to, you can later remove the part, by carefull cutting it with an X-acto knife and peeling it off. I've been a little surprised that others haven't used this in lieu of the (much harder to remove, and much more rigid) epoxy and milled glass.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:56 AM
OmegaSyx

Default Firewalls

For a 41 cc gas motor, could you tack the firewall in using silicone, and then glass over that for more strength?
Old 10-06-2002, 07:58 AM
Mike James

Default Don't know

I can't give you a definitive answer about that engine size, as I've only used silicone on firewalls up to and including .91 4-strokes.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:58 PM
hoveringcobra

When using Goop products to instal, say, a firewall (I've done this with 140 pattern birds), a couple of points are worth considering: 1) a non-porous surface on the firewall area to be adhered seems to increase the bond strength - this is accomplished by fingering some five-minute around the edges of the firewall. Also, the firewall needn't fit zero-zero inside the fuse; a slight gap allows for a stronger bond; 2) fingering a large fillet of Goop only adds weight and the shrinkage of this product will put some suck on glass fuses creating a slight trough on the outside of the skin.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:18 AM
sean mercer

Default silicone

well I'm going to try a window sealent silicone. it says 100% silicone great for vinal windows and other building materials. If this is a bad choice,SOMEONE PLEASE STOP ME. THANKS ...SEAN
Old 10-27-2002, 12:32 PM
Tapio

I'm thinking Goop may be silicone based, but is quite different.
I don't know how they get different properties from silicone with them being all 100 % . High heat, automotive, marine goop, etc.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:03 AM
paperairplanes
My Feedback: (10)

wood to wood(strustural)=pro bond
wood to wood(cosmetic/sheetin)=any good wood glue
wood to glass=Hysol 9462

wood glue takes longer to build, but much easier to sand than CA

IMO
Old 11-05-2002, 03:19 AM
sean mercer

what is hysol and where do i get it?
Old 11-05-2002, 04:16 AM
winship

Description Hysol 9462 is a toughened, two component epoxy adhesive formulated for
a good balance of shear and peel properties in an easy to use, smooth paste.

http://www.watkins-associates.com/Na...%20Numbers.htm
Old 11-06-2002, 07:38 PM
MARS ENFIELD

COOL VERY COOL ,I HAVE JUST STARTED LOOKING AROUND RC UNIVERSE.I AM BLOWN AWAY BY THE KNOWLEDGE I HAVE GAINED JUST READING DIFFERENT FORUMS ,I'M HOOKED .I WOULD LIKE TOO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR [email protected]
Old 11-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aluminum to glass also works well with Goop.I have an aluminum channel shaped tank mount in deadly Yellow Cap 'er' Snap 10 . Pranged it. Full tank and bracket never moved. Iwould'nt use the window silicon for glasswork as it wasn't meant for high strength. Goop and glass meant for each other. Ply formers were also gooped in. Nothing moved!