Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Cheek Cowls

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Kevin Duncan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheek Cowls

I am about to glue some cheek cowls on the side of my cowling. The cheeks are fiberglass as well as the fuse. I will initially glue the cheeks on with epoxy or CA.

What material would be the best to create that smooth fillet look around the cheek cowl making them seem to flow right out of the side of the plane? Of course, epoxy would work, but I would imagine that it would be hard to sand smooth and pretty messy also. Any ideas? Thanks, Kevin
Old 03-22-2005, 01:05 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Cheek Cowls

Tack the cheek cowls in place with dots of thick CA then follow up with a mixture of epoxy and microballoons...add microballoons until you get a thick paste. Use a slow set or laminating epoxy. Apply the paste all the way around. You can smooth out the paste with a gloved hand...if the paste sticks to the glove then dip your finger in alcohol.

-Tom
Old 03-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Mike James

Well, you want to use something hard, like epoxy and micro balloons, to make it last, and to be resistant to fuel. the trick, as you said, is to avoid a lot of sanding. So... First, I would rough up the actual hidden surfaces that mate, epoxy that, and let it cure. Don't try and do the fillet at that time.

Once it's cured, put a few strips of masking tape just outside the area to be filleted.

Then, I'd mix the goop of choice (mine would be an epoxy/microballoons mixture, thickened to something like whipped cream.) and apply it around the area to be filleted with a gloved finger, and/or a good filleting tool. There is a nice set of these at http://www.freemansupply.com/FilletShapers.htm for only a little over $20. Carefully wipe off excess goop with a paper towel, and around small areas using a Q-tip, pull the masking tape off, and walk away.

Later, come back and do the small amount of sanding requird, with 200 to 400 wet sandpaper, then prime/paint as you like.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:09 AM
Mike James

Weird...

Tom and I must have been typing at the same time...
Old 03-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Kevin Duncan
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea. Appreciate the replies. Kevin
Old 03-22-2005, 11:05 PM
weskel

Is it best to wet sand epoxy/microballons?

I have always just sanded them, never tried it wet.

Weskel
Old 03-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Mike James

Wet sanding is good for anything that won't be damaged by water. (as long as it's cured)

It's especially nice with all these composite finishes, as it keeps some of the dust out of your face.