Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Fish eyes in dope on fiberglass

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fish eyes in dope on fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 06:43 PM
woodys3b
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fish eyes in dope on fiberglass

I have been having a terrible time with fish eyes on my fiberglass cowl and wheel pants. I have done everything I can think of to clean the surface. Sanded it with paint thinner, wiped it down with dope thinner, washed it with degreaser, etc... I still get fish eyes. My question is two fold. First, is there any other way to get rid of whatever it is that is causing this? I suspect it is some kind of silicone mold release. Second, can I use an anti-fish eye additive like "Smoothie" in dope?

Thanks
Andy
Old 03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Fish eyes in dope on fiberglass

It could be silicone that is the problem. Have you tried spraying a coat of clear on first and letting it dry for 24 hrs? If you can find a compatible primer that might help also. As for the anti fish eye additive the best thing is to mix up a batch and spray it on a test panel. It will either dry as normal or it wont so there shouldnt be a middle ground problem.
The last dope finish I did was 10 years ago on my yellow Aircraft P-47. The glass Fuselage and cowl took the Sig Olive Drab dope with no problem.
ORIGINAL: woodys3b

I have been having a terrible time with fish eyes on my fiberglass cowl and wheel pants. I have done everything I can think of to clean the surface. Sanded it with paint thinner, wiped it down with dope thinner, washed it with degreaser, etc... I still get fish eyes. My question is two fold. First, is there any other way to get rid of whatever it is that is causing this? I suspect it is some kind of silicone mold release. Second, can I use an anti-fish eye additive like "Smoothie" in dope?

Thanks
Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86545.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	247735  
Old 03-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, do you have a "trap" on the compressor ?

Sometimes moisture or oil from the compressor gets into the air going to the gun. That will also cause fish eyes.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM
woodys3b
My Feedback: (13)

The only spraying has been sandable primer from a spray can. Used that and automotive spot putty to fill pin holes. After that I have been brusning on coats of Nitrate dope. The last coat was color butyrate to make the fish eyes more visible so I know where to clean. Lots of sanding between coats with various cleaners/solvents to get rid of whatever is causing the fish eyes. I'm about to the point of stripping it down to square one and starting over. I've never had this much trouble with a fiberglass part in the past.

Thanks
Andy