Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Cutting and Handling Cloth

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Cutting and Handling Cloth

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 12:53 AM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting and Handling Cloth

Here is a technique I use to measure, cut and handle cloth prior to the layup process. Works for me, YMMV.

Get yourself a roll of 18" wide Reynolds freezer paper from the grocery store. I pay $5 for a 150 sq ft roll.

Lay down strips of paper the width of your cloth, and lightly mist them with 3M-77 on the plastified side. The less glue the better. Allow to dry for about an hour.

Unroll your cloth so it is flat and square, and paste the tacky paper down on the cloth. Smooth out the bond using a wide squeegee.

You now have a markable surface to measure and draw cutting lines using a pencil or marker. The bond keeps the edges of the cloth from unraveling during the cut, and through further handling.
The paper easily peels off - Have a corner or two turned up in advance so it is easier to start with gloves on.

AFAIK, none of the glue transfers onto the cloth - All of it stays on the paper. I have used this trechnique with various densities of fiberglass, Kevlar, and CF and it works great!
Old 09-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Good tip! Thanks.