Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Seam line filler

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:22 PM
ryancbr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seam line filler

I accidentally cut one half of a fuselage below where the seam line should be. I joined the 2 halves with tape, but now the outside has a noticeable notch where I cut it to low. I would like to fill it with something that will leave it roughly the same color (just clear epoxy) so its not as noticeable. Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seam line filler

ORIGINAL: ryancbr

I accidentally cut one half of a fuselage below where the seam line should be. I joined the 2 halves with tape, but now the outside has a noticeable notch where I cut it to low. I would like to fill it with something that will leave it roughly the same color (just clear epoxy) so its not as noticeable. Any ideas?
Not for a clear/translucent finish. I normally use spot putty for filling seams, then sand, prime and paint.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:18 AM
davidfee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thicken up some epoxy with colloidal silica (cab-o-sil, fumed silica, etc). It changes the color less than microballoons or other fillers.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:19 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just about anything can be crammed in there with a little epoxy. Baby powder will work in a pinch. Saw dust, microballons, list goes on and on, use your imagination and you'll get it.