Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

How Do I Cover Byron Ryan Foam Wings?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

How Do I Cover Byron Ryan Foam Wings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:51 PM
DTK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Cover Byron Ryan Foam Wings?

I just picked up a NIB Byron Ryan ST-A. What is the best way to cover the foam parts? The fuse is a nice quality fiberglass. I can paint and prep a real car. However I am at a loss for prepping and painting a model that needs to be lightweight and fly. Can any one recommend primers finishes etc for this model.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:01 PM
NAES

Default RE: How Do I Cover Byron Ryan Foam Wings?

You can sheet with balsa using many of the methods such as poly glue, etc. You could glass over that and prime/paint for a really nice finish.

Or you can vaccum bag fiberglass directly over the foam if the cores are nice and there is some sort of spar in there.

HTH, NAES
Old 05-07-2005, 05:16 PM
DTK

Ok now I am really confused. I am used to building balsa ribs and partial sheeting and covering with an Iron and Monocote or Coverite. Do you or any have links how too's yada yada or better yet some one who does this?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to finish the byron foam wings is to glass them with 1 3/4 ounce glass cloth and epoxy. Use the pacer Z-Poxy finishing resin which you can find at the local hobby shop. Better yet if you are familiar with the west systems epoxy system I would use that.

First off build the entire aircraft and then glass the wings. Lay the glass cloth on hte foam and mix up about an ounce of epoxy. Pour the epoxy on the glass cloth and sqeegee it all over the cloth untill you have saturated the cloth and have a matt finish. Once done let it dry and then do the other side. Now sand the wing with 220 dry paper to scuff it up. Next mix up another batch of resin and put one more coat on the wing to ensure you have the glass cloth fully sealed.

After that I use PPG K-36 primer to begin the process. I brush on two coats of primer, reduced 10% and then sand dry with 220. Next mix up another batch of primer and reduce it at least 150%, spray the wings and fuse and wet sand down with 400.

I paint with PPG and always reduce at least 100 - 150% with both colors and clear coat. That is it.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:57 AM
aarcuda
My Feedback: (30)

I have built many Byron kits and this particular type of foam you DO NOT sheet with balsa. The vacuum bag technique is not necessary either.

John Redman had it right when he said you glass the entire wing after the model is pretty much built. However, be careful about the amount of Z-Poxy you use (leave) on the wings and I would personally use .75 oz. or .60 oz. glass cloth, not 1.75 oz. That would add a lot of strength (which isn't needed), but weight too. Sig sells .6 oz. cloth. I have used fiberglass systems many many times with all sorts of epoxy and resins and Z-Poxy is about the best I've found as far as epoxies go but I'm continuing to look for something better...I am not really happy with the way Z-Poxy sands. As with all epoxies, it tends to ball up in the sand paper. The remedy I have found for that is to !QUOT!wet!QUOT! sand the epoxy.

Call if you have any questions.

Bob