Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

CF wheel pants

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CF wheel pants

I made these wheel pants myself. The pants are made of CF and it is my firsts attempt to do anything of CF. As we can see results are quite great, the pants look way better that i imagined. What you think?

When i made those pants i first lacquer two component automotive lack inside of mold and then laminate the CF cloth. Lacquer is for strength and fuel proof and also gives nice shiny surface to the pant.

What kind of parts you are made from CF?

Next what i try is made CF landing gear.

Sorry my dumb English. I hope that you understand what i meant, English is not my first language.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CF wheel pants

They look very nice.

I do have a question though. Wouldn't fiberglass be more economical for wheel pants ? Wheel pants don't usually require the strength that you get from CF.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Yep. fiber class is more economical. Reason why i want to try CF for it looks . Usually i use those molds to made pre-painted fiber glass wheel pants. like this one picture bellow.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do VERY nice work. Those pants look absolutely fabulous.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Seppo K

Ghostrider, you should have explained how these pants have been done - it is not just the nice look what is specific with these !

I'm wondering why none has been asking why the mold is such which can be seen in the picture? The opening into the pants is so small, and the mold seems to be very heavy structure. How to join the halves though so small opening, etc.

I can give some hints: the mold is built very strong due to pressure used for production. The mold has to be strong enough to carry pressure up to 70 psi, which is used first to set the fiberglass tightly into the corners and in the joint area, and secondly to drive all the extra epoxy out of the mold. This gives very light pants - those in the picture about 19 grams. Furthermore the whole part will be produced in one go - just place the fabric on both halves, put the mold halves together and set the pressure. After few hours you will find pants like seen in the pictures. Ok - there are a couple of other small details, like balloons etc. during the process, but in general this is how everything goes.

Why do I know this? Well, we have been working together with Ghostrider - or let's be precise: we have tried to learn new by practicing fiberglass work using different methods for next more challenging job we have in our mind. This has been our lesson of using pressure with glass fiber lamination. --- But doesn't it give nice pants?

More to come.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Ghostrider FIN

Hehee. Seppo, my chap. i knew that you have hard to keep out your fingers on the keyboard. It took only one day when i told to you that i wrote on here and now i can read out your comments.

OK, if you wish we can tell to others, how we make these pants. Air pressure, plastic bags, balloons and so on. Yup it´s more easier than you may think now. It takes only hour to complete pair of wheel pants, regardless about drying times of the epoxy and the car paint which is used to paint pants inside straight on mold.

Basically this operation is quite simple.

First you need to laminate the GF to the painted mold and the trim excessive fiber off from mold edges and leave on other half of mold fibers to overlong doing so will help out to get good seam. When trimming is done, then place the plastic bag which is lubricated inside on over laminated GF and wipe fibers over plastic bag. (Lubrication is few soap and water) Plastic bag helps to release balloon off from inside of the mold when the epoxy is cured. Some of reason the plastic bags which is used to freeze foods won´t stick on epoxy and therefore helps release balloon. Now you can attach the mold halves together. When halves are fixed together following operation is attach mold to the screw vice and secure each corner of the mold with the screw clamp, this is necessary due the pressure is so high 70 PSI and over.

Next you need balloon big is better way than small one. Balloon is fixed to valve which is glued on cover. Valve is normal tubeless valve. when balloon is on cover then the balloon is also lubricated with soap and water. Then the cover is fixed to mold and pressure is raised SLOWLY. When the pressure is on you can see how excessive epoxy starts flow off inside of mold. Usually i wait until epoxy flow stops and then reduce pressure. Reducing the pressure will help to avoid too dry laminate and also helps to balloon clear up to next use.

SeppoK or me will add some pictures about this operation, it will help out what i meant.