Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

too flimsy

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:57 AM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too flimsy

[:@]please someone tell me why my parts are coming out too flimsy , I don't matter how many layers of cloth I used.
Thanks
Edwin
Old 06-01-2005, 12:15 PM
davidfee

Default RE: too flimsy

What resin system are you using, and how are you dispensing and mixing it? What cloth? We need more information to help you.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other thing to remember is that the glass part will be VERY flexable for about the first 72 hours after it comes out.

When I make a glass part, I do any final straightening then put it aside for about 72 hours. At that point it has lost quite a bit of it's flexability.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:46 PM
salmon

I'm using west system epoxy 105 resin and slow hardener i think is 206 , dispensing with the pumps that CST sales and mixing one stroke per pump , 6oz cloth. i made an small piece with 6 layers just to see how many layers is going to take for this thing to get stiff , but even with all those layers is very easy to bend. do I need an oven? or room temperture is enough.
Thanks.
Edwin
Old 06-03-2005, 05:51 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW ,,6 LAYERS OF 6.OZ!! --YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO STAND ON IT!! I SUSPECT THE RESIN.. MAYBE A BAD BATCH ,OR NOT MIXING TO SPECS.. I DO NOT LIKE WEST SYSTEM.. ALLWAYS BEEN ,A LITTLE FLEXABLE FOR ME..I USE ,VYNALESTER RESIN.. A 2.OZ AND A 8.OZ, CLOTH FOR FUSE SHOULD GIVE GOOD RESULTS..RD
Old 06-03-2005, 09:57 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know when I use west systems, the stuff is way more flexible than anything else I use. In the full scale I am building, they refer to west as a finishing resin and warn against its use for anything structural. Try polyester resin or another and see if you have better luck. I use safe T poxy for most of the structural layups I do and it gets harder than heck.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:14 AM
salmon

GREAT HELP!!
thanks, I know there is 2 or 3 things that I've been doing wrong
1) the resin is been stored for apox. 2.5 years, (the hardener is brown)
2)I layed the cloth in the same direccion insted of changing to a 45* angle per layer
I think I have the mixing ratio rigth, and yes the part became a little stiff after a couple of days, but still is not hard like a 6 layer piece should be , now I just need to find out where to get the resins you talking about.

Thanks again
Edwin.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:48 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love West System, work great and its just flexible enough for out hobby! If you drop your west system made cowling on the cement floor by accident the chances are you wont have to fix it. If it was made of polyester it will crack and you have to fix it and stink up the shop again with more polyester.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:59 AM
rcairplanenut

Aircraft Spruce has several epoxy systems. If you are trying to make a panel stiff you can add a core material between the layers of cloth: balsa, foam, honey comb. Some applications of core materials will require vacuum bagging to insure a good bond of the face sheets to the core. About epoxy I have been using aeropoxy for years now and I am very pleased with the system.

SG