Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Epoxy impervious to gasoline?

Old 10-08-2002, 07:48 PM
Krusty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Epoxy impervious to gasoline?

Is the "30 minuite epoxy" that is available in hobby shops or "JB Weld" impervious to solvents such as gasoline? I've used them both for many years in model building and they do resist glowfuel, but I'm not sure with gasoline. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with these epoxys and "solvents"? If neither of them are suitable, what brand or type of adhesive can I use?
Thanks
Old 10-09-2002, 10:01 AM
747drvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jet guys are regularly making kevlar fuel tanks using standard epoxys. This is for kerosene or JetA1 but I think gasoline is similar.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:03 PM
FLYBOY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gas is not the same. I would advise mixing some up, let it harden and drop it in a glass jar of gas for a long time and see what it does on the glue you are using. I am building a full scale Long EZ and a lot of the newer epoxies are not fuel proof even though advertized to be. One Cozy crashed because his tank was made with epoxy that was not fuel proof. If tends to get white flecks in it at first and clogs things up fast. Check it out before you use it on something that matters.

Search this Thread