Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

all those fibers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Carleto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all those fibers...

ok, I'll start by telling you what I'm gonna use the fibers (carbon fiber, fiber glass, kevlar, etc...)

I'm building a totally [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2977575/tm.htm]Custom Quickie[/link], and I want it to be as strong and as fast as possible. So I want to use the fibers in order to reinforce my construction. First off, which is the lghtest and strongest fiber? The stronger the better, since the point of the fibers will be to make sure the frame does not break down, I'll want the fiber to be stronger than it is lighter if there is no ideal.

And as for the Tips&Techniques, I don't know how to use the fibers correctly, I use epoxy and fiberglass at the moment, but It comes out to have bubbles, and globs of extra epoxy. In addition to this, I am beginning to think that epoxy isn't the lightest glue I can use for this purpose...
Old 06-17-2005, 12:33 PM
rcdude37

Default RE: all those fibers...

id say use carbon.. but i have no idea how to work it i just know its strong and light.....
as far as the fiberglass goes, epoxy can be light if you use it right, thin it out with some rubbing alchohol and just use enough to get the cloth wet(i assume u are using a cloth) then brush it smooth with a brush and let it dry, the other thing you could do is try fiberglass resin, it's made specificly for fiberglass, your hobby shop should cary it, if not tower does, and some other hardware shops might have it...
good luck
Old 06-17-2005, 06:10 PM
kdheath

For a start, check out these sites. See the How To articles. CST is very helpful to modelers and homebuilders. The choices between CF, FG, and Kevlar aren't as simple as "give me the lightest and strongest." The right choice for the application is important.

http://www.cstsales.com/
http://www.westsystem.com/
Old 06-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Carleto

sorry, forgot about this post ok thanks guys helped a lot with the fiber glass, nut I still don't understant how to work with CF and kevlar when it comes to covering balsa with them.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:31 AM
Ed Smith

Can you be more specific as to the application of the materials you wish to use. Are you glassing over balsa skinned wings? Are you reinforcing spars? Are you molding parts? I have built many Quickies and I do not use Kevlar in any of them. So already we have eliminated one expensive hard to work material.

The picture shows one of my Quicky Pylon Racers for AMA 428 racing. The wing is foam core, balsa skin, glassed. The fuselage is molded glass. The tail is balsa glassed. The resin used is all epoxy with various weights of cloth for specific applications.

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90326.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	287727