Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flattening 14-mil Mylar

I have some 14-mil mylar from CST. They shiiped it in rolls.
    These things are a pain to flatten - They just keep curling back up.
    What's the trick to flatten out this stuff?
    -- Marty

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flattening 14-mil Mylar

Lay the mylar curled side up and heat it . This works for me I cut it to shape first then put it in my hot box (curing oven) at about 40 degrese C for a few hours .You can also lay a towel over it and use a medium to low heat Iron across the towel or a hair dryer can also work directly on the mylar .Have fun.
    Terry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flattening 14-mil Mylar

Now 14 mil mylar is fairly thick, compared to that which I have used from time to time.

The idea of heating to flatten it out is a bit of a concern though, especially if you want to retain any of the heat-shrinking ability of the sheet for later covering or other uses.

If the problem is a bend, then I would suggest running the bent area gently over the edge of a table, workbench etc under tension to bend the affected area back.

In my experience there is only one method for removing a fold, and that is to throw it away if the affected part will not straighten after shrinking (that is not a problem with 2 and 5mil, folds usually come out )