Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Flattening 14-mil Mylar

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Flattening 14-mil Mylar

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 11:31 PM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flattening 14-mil Mylar

I have some 14-mil mylar from CST. They shiiped it in rolls.
These things are a pain to flatten - They just keep curling back up.
What's the trick to flatten out this stuff?
Old 10-15-2002, 12:15 AM
Terryoc

Lay the mylar curled side up and heat it . This works for me I cut it to shape first then put it in my hot box (curing oven) at about 40 degrese C for a few hours .You can also lay a towel over it and use a medium to low heat Iron across the towel or a hair dryer can also work directly on the mylar .Have fun.
Terry.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:05 PM
probligo

Now 14 mil mylar is fairly thick, compared to that which I have used from time to time.

The idea of heating to flatten it out is a bit of a concern though, especially if you want to retain any of the heat-shrinking ability of the sheet for later covering or other uses.

If the problem is a bend, then I would suggest running the bent area gently over the edge of a table, workbench etc under tension to bend the affected area back.

In my experience there is only one method for removing a fold, and that is to throw it away if the affected part will not straighten after shrinking (that is not a problem with 2 and 5mil, folds usually come out )