Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

glass or tissue/dope 4 scale finish?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

glass or tissue/dope 4 scale finish?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:56 AM
gt_jumper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glass or tissue/dope 4 scale finish?

iv never used fibre glass but seen the wonderfull results, but i have used tissue and dope. does any one know wether or not tissue would give as good appearence and wether it can take ingraved rivits and panel lines? if not whats the best size of fibreglass and what would i use to cure it? not a spec of foam on the aircraft.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: glass or tissue/dope 4 scale finish?

I don't know how well the tissue and dope will take details (rivets, etc ).

When glassing, typically 1/2 oz (.5 oz) or 3/4 oz (.75 oz) fiberglass cloth is used.

There are 2 basic ways to apply the cloth. The 1st way (traditional way) is using resin. The 2nd way is using a water base polyurethane.

The polyurethane method has about 60% of the strength and rigidity of resin, HOWEVER, it only has about 50% of the weight and is A LOT easier to sand. The polyurethane method is (IMHO) a lot less of a mess, and has almost no odor and no fumes. I admit that I am a big fan of the polyurethane method.

Here are instructions for the polyurethane method. The basics would also be the same for using resin.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
Yw69091.txt (2.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: glass or tissue/dope 4 scale finish?

Sorry I read this thread late,
Question, what brand of polyurethane are you using? I use resin now but always willing to try other methods.
Larry