Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass or epoxy repair

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglass or epoxy repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Jackster00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass or epoxy repair

Please excuse this question as it's probably been asked 100 times or more on this board. This is my first time here, so please bear with me:
I want to repair a round cowl (deHavilland Beaver), which has 4 or 5 cracks in it, plus 2 loose pieces. I'm a great believer in epoxy, but I want this cowl to be as strong as possible and look good after the repair. I've never worked with fiberglass before, but am game to try it if I need to. Could I get anyone's opinion on which I should use for this repair? Thanx in advance, to you experts out there.

Jackster
Old 11-04-2005, 07:01 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Fiberglass or epoxy repair

What is the cowling made of, Wood, Polyester or epoxy resin?

Ed S
Old 11-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Jackster00

I believe it's a fiberglass cowl. It's smooth on the outside, and has a rough interior which is composed of hundreds of strands of threadlike material bonded together. Other than that, I can't tell you the composition. It looks like other fiberglas materials I've seen tho.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Ed Smith

O.K. we will start at the beginning. Fibreglass is the cloth that comes in a variety of types. To make things like cowlings, wheelpants, fuselages etc the cloth is impregnated with usually polyester or epoxy resin. Some resins are not compatible with others, polyester usually will not cure over epoxy.

With your cowling I would do this. Thoroughly clean the inside to remove all grease and oil. Rough up the inside with coarse sandpaper. Get some two ounce glass cloth and some epoxy resin. Put a layer of cloth inside the cowl and saturate with resin. Ensure the cloth is pushed tight against the cowl inside. When it has cured sand off any excess. Fill the cracks and gouges on the outside. Sand them all smooth and apply the paint of your choice.

The foregoing is a basic crash course.

Ed S
Old 11-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Jackster00

Thanx, Ed. I'll go ahead with the repairs in that manner then.

Jackster
Old 11-23-2005, 12:32 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to interupt chaps but if the cowl is in a polyester resin an epoxy repair will not adhear to it no matter how rough.
Mike