Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Cutting F/G cowl

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 10:21 PM
DeadSticker
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting F/G cowl

I just have a question about cutting f/g cowls. What is the best way to do it. I have tried a number of things, but I always end up having strands of f/g all over the place. I have tried dremel w/ high speed cutting bit, masonary bits, sanding drums, etc... I am building a new plane and it is the first time I have had to cut out the intake holes and I want it to look like a professional job!!
Old 11-13-2002, 11:34 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cutting F/G cowl

Use a Dremel tool or similar.
It is best to do this outside, and use a dust mask!
Usually the air intakes have a recessed area, so no marking of the area is necessary, drill first a small hole in the area to be deburred, using the Dremel use an emery stone tool which has a conical shape, enlarge the hole made by drilling enough so you can now use an emery cilindrical accesory, these are discardable (they actually slip over an accesory with a rubber insert with a screw on one end), and the best accesory for enlargin holes in fiberglass, it will eat away on fiberglass with ease and precission.
Once you are done with the deburring, by hand now, sand the edges smooth with a 320 sandpaper wet/dry, used dry.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:21 PM
DeadSticker
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting F/G cowl

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.