Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber Bulkheads and Radio Interference

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Carbon Fiber Bulkheads and Radio Interference

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 04:53 AM
Giant Scale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Bulkheads and Radio Interference

Does anyone have any experience with using carbon fiber reinforced bulkheads in a fiberglass fuse? Have you experienced any receiver interference when using carbon fiber?
Old 11-13-2002, 05:20 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Bulkheads and Radio Interference

Originally posted by Giant Scale
Does anyone have any experience with using carbon fiber reinforced bulkheads in a fiberglass fuse? Have you experienced any receiver interference when using carbon fiber?
All of my pattern models have full carbon fronts (mid-wing forward) and carbon/honeycomb panels which the antenna runs right through, carbon pushrods, I have never noticed a decrease in range or any hint of interference in flight. Just do a good range check but I think you will be ok.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:38 AM
Giant Scale

Chad
Are you using PCM or PPM equipment? I was thinking of substituting some plywood parts in my 50% CAP 232 with CF plates (laminated from balsa core and CF). I am trying to save some weight so I'll have to make up some samples and weigh them to see which is lighter the 1/4" ply or the CF/balsa plate. I don't want to use too much CF as I have heard that it can cause radio interference.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:41 PM
Ollie

the Carbon is a conductor but, not as good a conductor as most metals. If a metal part in the same size and shape as the carbon wouldn't cause interference, neither will the carbon part. Usually conductors don't have much affect on signal strength unless they are connected electrically to the receiver circuitry or of a length that resonates at the receiver frequency. I have run the antenna of my receiver down the inside of a carbon fiber tail boom tube without any appreciable decrease in range. It is easy enough to check. Just do a ground range check with and without the carbon part and note the differences in ground range.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:19 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Giant Scale
Chad
Are you using PCM or PPM equipment? I was thinking of substituting some plywood parts in my 50% CAP 232 with CF plates (laminated from balsa core and CF). I am trying to save some weight so I'll have to make up some samples and weigh them to see which is lighter the 1/4" ply or the CF/balsa plate. I don't want to use too much CF as I have heard that it can cause radio interference.
I run PCM stuff, Futaba 149 receiver and 9ZAP tranny. A few bulkheads wont hurt you at all, you'll be alright.