Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

gluing carbon fiber?

Old 01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
bil2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gluing carbon fiber?

I have some carbon fiber, about 1/8 inch wide, and want to use it to reinforce a flat foamie. It has been coiled up. Some questions 1) How can I make it lay flat? Can I use a clothes iron? Low or high heat? 2) I have foam-safe CA. Can I just lay down a bead of that and lay the CF in it, and press it down? Or does it need to need to be saturated? 3) Should I use kicker on it or just let it dry. I'm in no hurry. 4) There appears to be a covering on one side, maybe to hold the fibers together. Does it matter if I lay side up or down? Thanks for all the help for a guy new to CF. Bil
Old 01-09-2006, 08:04 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: gluing carbon fiber?

Use weights to weight it down and use 5 minute. I did this same thing on a Wedgie a few years ago that I built.