Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

CF Spinner

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 03:18 AM
AV8TOR
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CF Spinner

For those of you who have a CF spinner or who have made a mold for one I have a couple of questions.
Can you still use a starter on one?
Did you just lay it up and let it dry or did you vacuum bag the mold (Seems like a long draw for the bag) to squeeze out excess resin for balance control?
All CF spinners that I have seen mount with screws on the side to the backplate. If you add resin to the center can you use a center screw like a Tru-Turn spinner?

I just drew up a 3.5” Ultimate style spinner in Rhino and used a pretty cool feature, which will come in handy. After you make your surface in Rhino you can unwrap that surface which gives you a perfect template for cutting a single piece of CF to wrap in the mold. I have a CNC lathe which I can just turn one but I thought I just might make a CF one instead.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:56 AM
Ollie

Default CF Spinner

Any overlap seam has to be annular rather than radial or it will unbalance the spinner. Use one or more plies of braided carbon sleeve material from the back of the spinner to somewhere near the front of the spinner. Use several circular patches of open weave, satin weave or harness weave carbon cloth for the nose of the spinner some of which overlap the braided sleeve material. In this way you can strengthen the nose of the spinner so that it will take a central mounting bolt. Latex sheet as in dental dam material will have enough stretch to allow vacuum bagging the inside. I'm not sure what kind of release material or air bleeder would work best in this situation. Perhaps overlapping triangles of peelply and a blanket of cotton wool would do.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:29 PM
bestrcpilot

Default CF Spinner

When making my CF Spinner I use a balloon inside the mold to help squeeze out excess resin, that way the bag does not have to draw down inside the mold.
Yes you can make a spinner with a center bolt. I use chop CF and build up with resin the center of the spinner for the bolt.

Hope this helps
bestrcpilot
Old 11-22-2002, 07:02 PM
AV8TOR
My Feedback: (2)

Default CF Spinner

Thanks for the info guys.