Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

PAINTING IN THE MOLD QUESTION

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

PAINTING IN THE MOLD QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 09:38 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAINTING IN THE MOLD QUESTION

I'm sure this has been touched on before so please bare with me on this....I just made a mold for two different cowls and would like to try painting in the mold...no complciated graphics just a white, or maybe cub yellow color....I am making my cowls using West Systems epoxy resin...I basically ahve brushed on a layer of epoxy in the mold, let it tack up for 45 minutes or so and then lay my cloth in and wet out the cloth. Of course I used partall wax and Safelease 30 release agent prior.
My question is this...what kind of "over the counter" paint can I use and what procedure should follow...do I spray or brush the paint in prior to the epoxy layer, or spray in the paint afterwards before I put in the layer of cloth?
Any help is greatly appreciated....
Old 02-08-2006, 10:45 AM
chelapa

Default RE: PAINTING IN THE MOLD QUESTION

just paint inside the mold. let dry and then epoxy on. theres nothing major in there
Old 02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

What kind of paint can I use?...I want something that is easily accessible from the local hobby shop, Home Depot etc....
Can I use Lustrekote? Or some latex paint? or some spray can paint?

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-08-2006, 03:25 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regular spray paint's worked good for me - you let it completely dry then you're basically gluing it to your layup in reverse. As long as the epoxy won't reactivate the paint, any paint should do, I think... Enamels work fine but aren't fuel proof, etc.