Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Making a custom glow fuel tank?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Making a custom glow fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:33 PM
brjensen71
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a custom glow fuel tank?

I have seen custom made fuel tanks from kevlar and resin for turbine powered aircraft, will these same methods work for a glow fuel tank?

I have the need for a custom shape glow flue tank, what constructions methods are available other than soldering together a tin tank?

thanks in advance for your help
Old 02-13-2006, 09:16 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Making a custom glow fuel tank?

Kevlar or in your case fiberglass tank will work for your application. Just read up on tanks in this section of RCU and you will find many build tutorials and ideas for making a mold or the "lost foam" method of shaping a tank out of foam, fiberglassing it, then cuttting it in half, carving out the foam and then sealing it with firberglass tape.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 AM
rcalfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy! Use blue foam, or any other of your choice, and shape it into the form that suits your purpose. Cut the filler spout from a scrap plastic fuel tank and use it at the front of the tank. Now, use epoxy and fiberglass cloth to cover all the foam and especially the spout edges. Let cure and then cut it in half. Scoop out all the foam and scrub out the inside of the new tank. Put a coat of resin to smooth out the inside. Tack glue the halves together and use glass tape on the seam and epoxy well. There you are....a new custom tank. Regards.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a plastic tank that almost fits, you can change it's shape with a heat gun and pressure against a surface.