Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Hatch Fitting Problem

Old 12-08-2002, 07:46 PM
bonefishfool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hatch Fitting Problem

Hi Everyone:

I am brand new to the forum, but need some help. I have been trying to get the engine access hatch to fair flush with the top of the fuselage of my BVM aggressor II. I called BVM to order a new one and/or ask for help, but got nowhere. They seemed totally disinterested in assisting me.
The hatch just won't match up with the fuse. I tried relocating the aligment pins, but no go. As you can see, there is about a 1/16- 1/8 inch gap there. Unacceptable. It just will not lay down flat. I am not sure if I can build it up that far without looking wierd, and even if I did, I don't know what to use or how to approach this knotty problem.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

James Yates
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39888_21233.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	24836  
Old 12-08-2002, 09:56 PM
Jetman007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch Fit

Seen this on almost every fiberglass model I have built. I apply a generous bead of thick filler like, Sig Epox-O-Lite or even Bondo to the fuselage flange, cover with a strip of wax paper and install the hatch. Let the excess ooze out. Clean up the extra that oozed out. Then let it cure up. Remove hatch. Remove wax paper. Sand and shape the filled area's edges to blend with fuse sides.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:05 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Jim,

First of all and most importantly.....WELCOME to RCUNIVERSE. As the slogin here implies, this IS the greatest RC web forum on the net.

Secondly, I have met and spoke with BOB VIOLET peronally. He does not seem to be the kind of BUSINESS person to just "blow someone off." He has one of the most AWESOME RC businesses there is and for several good reasons, one of which is customer service. So at this point in time, I would suggest trying BVM again.

If you still get no results, which I doubt, or if you just want to try to correct this issue yourself, this is the place to come.

I can not tell for sure if what I am looking at is actually an ARCH or just misalignment. Can you provide more pictures?

ART HAS A VERY GOOD SUGGESTION......
Old 12-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Mike James

Default Yep

Just to agree...

I too like the method of using a thick micro-balloon type filler. I use a physical separator, like waxed paper or even Monokote, (something you can smooth the wrinkles out of) and usually take the extra precaution of adding a coat of PVA. Then mask around the area, just to insure against any drips. Finally, add the filler mixture to the other part and press it into place.

Later... Voila! No seams.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:13 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

James,

I have an old Aggressor 2. Mine did the same thing. Before you start slapping on the filler, do this. Take a heat gun, and carefully warm up the hatch. Keep the heat gun moving, don't concentrate in a particular spot. Carefully squeeze the center portion of the hatch, where it sits on the fuselage ledge. You want to do this so when the part cools, it will spring into the correct shape.

When you are happy with how it sits on the fuselage, you can put some carbon fiber tow running spanwise, inside the hatch. This will act as a stiffener.

I used no filler on mine.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:17 PM
bonefishfool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Everyone:

I just wanted to express my gratitude to all those who responded to my call for help. I plan to give these ideas a try this weekend. I'll report back here with the results....

James Yates