Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

cutting turtle deck

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:43 AM
troyhm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting turtle deck

Hi

I need to cut a top and bottom turtle deck for and aircraft, I have designed the templates in cad and allowed for the curvature that I want and allowed for the sheeting. When using the foam cutting bow do I need to make any other allowance in size or length when cutting for burn out or any other factors ???

Thanks

Troy
Old 04-28-2006, 09:20 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: cutting turtle deck

ORIGINAL: troyhm
When using the foam cutting bow do I need to make any other allowance in size or length when cutting for burn out or any other factors ???
It depends.

What you're asking about is called kerf. If you cutting template is like the bulkhead no, if you use a template that is the reverse you need to account for the cutting wire's thickness and any melt you expect to get. A bulkhead like template is by far easier to make and use in most cases. The only other thing that effects the track of the wire is the thickness of the template, but it would really have to be thick, most templates are very thin 1/32 inch and cause no problems.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:18 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: cutting turtle deck

The kerf loss is typically less than 1/16 inch cuttting lightfoam foam