Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Vacuum bagging and LE, TE, Tips

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Vacuum bagging and LE, TE, Tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:53 AM
casniffer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum bagging and LE, TE, Tips

Hi,
I am ready to try my hand at vacuum bagging wings. I've read a lot of posts in the composite fabrication and repair section and elsewhere with respect to vacuum bagging, but I haven't seen much of anything about finishing the trailing edge, leading edge and wing tips. I have everything but epoxy and will probably go with West Systems since I can buy it locally.
I would appreciate any suggestions and techniques for finishing a wing after bagging.
Thanks
CASniffer
Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Vacuum bagging and LE, TE, Tips

http://genie.rchomepage.com/FINE%20F...20PAINTING.pdf
Old 06-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Ed Smith

I would suggest you do not use west systems. West systems starts to set up fairly quickly, (30 minutes or so). this may not give you enough time to get everything on the wing and into the bag. If you have no choice then get the slowest hardener you can for the resin. There is nothing worse than having to rush to get it all in the bag because the resin is curing. If the resin starts to set up too soon, excess will not bleed through the peel ply into the breather. The result will be one heavy wing.

I use MGS resin, the slowest hardener will allow 4-5 hours working time.

Ed S
Old 06-15-2006, 05:23 AM
Newc

Typically the LE and wing tips are put on after the bagging is completed, while the TE may be part of the bagging preparation, ranging from a caron fiber reinforcement to simply trimming the TE after the bagging is completed.

I like using Gorilla Glue for the bagging instead of epoxy. Less weight, plenty of time to work with it, no mixing required and extremely strong bond.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 AM
hayman

That and many more questions you are going to have about Vacuum Bagging Wings are answered [link=http://www.paonline.com/hayman/video.htm]HERE[/link].
Old 06-15-2006, 10:58 AM
slkret

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newc:
Am I understanding that you are substituting gorilla glue for epoxy for the actual glass layup?

Steve
Old 06-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Troy-RCU

ORIGINAL: Newc
I like using Gorilla Glue for the bagging instead of epoxy. Less weight, plenty of time to work with it, no mixing required and extremely strong bond.
I'm assuming he means for bagging balsa skins. I tried some Gorilla Glue with carbon alone and it was a so-so result. OK for reinforcements under balsa skins but not a good replacement for epoxy and cloth.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:25 AM
Newc

Right, I was referring to using Gorilla Glue for balsa sheeting foam, not as a substitute for epoxing fibreglass. For that - fiberglassing the balsa sheeting in preparation to painting - I use polyurethane instead of epoxy.

For a free video about vacuum bagging, go to this site http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4901
Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
casniffer

Thanks for all the responses. You guys are the best.
CASniffer