Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Firewall to fiberglass fuse??

I would like some tips on what type of glue and how to put a firewall in a fiberglass fuse?
    Thanks
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sandpaper

First of all, scuff up the glass with sandpaper before bonding. I like 100 grit, but that maybe overkill. I have used both epoxy or flex CA with good results.

As far as firewalls go, try to make something that fits behind the glass since the engine pulls on the fuse. I am assuming that ther is a lip for the firewall, other wise i would mold one in. I do not like to glue the firewall to the outer side of the lip. You can make the firewall in two pieces and fit them together in the fuse if a one piece will not fit properly.

I like using 1/4" endgrain balsa sandwiched in 5.7oz carbon for giant scale planes, but thats my choice. What ever you have, since you took the time to make (hopefully) a lite fuse, you might as well make a lite firewall. You could glass some laminates of balsa, or use carbon, or make a sandwich of lite-ply.

The choice is up to you, just don't forget the sandpaper!

Good Luck!
    Darrin Cash
    \"Make everything like your going to make the front page of NASA Tech Briefs\"
    Go Team Orange! Darrin R Cash